Who Uses Baking Soda?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I JUST learned that baking soda cures acne. Does anyone use baking soda in a salt or acne soap? Do you think it would be helpful? Or does it just sound weird to me? :?

*How* does it cure acne other than being a gentle exfoliate?

I have heard of mixing tea tree oil w/ bs & making a paste & using that to exfoliate acne prone skin.

Apparently Baking Soda is a salt (which is good for skin) that is altered very slightly to be made into a powder. maybe straight baking soda would help?!?

I use a baking soda formulation at the spa when working with clients whose skin is heavily congested or has acne. It is called a disencrustation procedure. I will explain it to you but please note this is for informational purposes only
Disincrustation is used to facilitate deep pore cleansing. During this process, galvanic current is used to create a chemical reaction that emulsifies or liquefies sebum (oil produced by the body) and debris. This treatment is very beneficial for oily or acne skin because it helps soften and relax the debris in the follicle for extractions.
To perform disincrustation, an acid-based electropositive solution is placed onto the skin's surface. When conducting disincrustation, the client holds a positive electrode, the positive polarity. The esthetician has direct contact with the disincrustator that is set on negative polarity. This creates a chemical reaction that transforms the sebum of the skin into soap, a.k.a. saponification. When the electrical current interacts with the sodium chloride (salts) in the skin, it creates the chemical sodium hydroxide. This soapy substance helps dissolve excess oil, clogged pores, comedones, and other debris on the skin.
I hope I didn't thoroughly confuse everyone.

I was wondering how baking soda is ADDED to a soap. I'm trying to make a facial soap thinking I'd like to use tomato juice (another thread!) and also baking soda or clay but I'm not sure where during the CP method these items would be added.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Chay said:
I use a baking soda formulation at the spa when working with clients whose skin is heavily congested or has acne. It is called a disencrustation procedure. I will explain it to you but please note this is for informational purposes only
Disincrustation is used to facilitate deep pore cleansing. During this process, galvanic current is used to create a chemical reaction that emulsifies or liquefies sebum (oil produced by the body) and debris. This treatment is very beneficial for oily or acne skin because it helps soften and relax the debris in the follicle for extractions.
To perform disincrustation, an acid-based electropositive solution is placed onto the skin's surface. When conducting disincrustation, the client holds a positive electrode, the positive polarity. The esthetician has direct contact with the disincrustator that is set on negative polarity. This creates a chemical reaction that transforms the sebum of the skin into soap, a.k.a. saponification. When the electrical current interacts with the sodium chloride (salts) in the skin, it creates the chemical sodium hydroxide. This soapy substance helps dissolve excess oil, clogged pores, comedones, and other debris on the skin.
I hope I didn't thoroughly confuse everyone.

SOUNDS SCARRY!!!

yes, alittle scary! ...that pic comes to mind someone posted when i said i licked my soap instead of zap tongue test lol...

I use clay, mainly for nice earthy colours (I have used red, pink, green and white clays), but also for their health properties (pink tones, green detoxes, white for dry & sensitive skin etc).
I put it in after I add the lye mix to the oils, but before trace. I have no idea when I add it then, and maybe after trace has been reached would be more appropriate :? .
I would be interested in using baking soda, too. I might experiment next time I make a batch. I wonder if there would be any chemical reaction, like when baking soda is mixed with vinegar and it bubbles up? Mmm...
I make a 'milk bath' with 1/2 powdered milk and 1/2 baking soda, plus eo, which is really nice and feels good on the skin.

Back