who used HO safflower?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made two batches with HO safflower and both seemed to move faster than I expected. I did use new FO in both so they could have been the cause too but its odd to me that they both accelerated.

I've used HO Safflower, but only at 10%. It was in Genny's shampoo bar formula in place of the soy. For what it's worth, though, my batch played very nice and did not accelerate at all. How much did you use?

IrishLass :)

Around 25% each time. I found conflicting reviews on the FO I used today, for some it behaves for others it accelerates like mad. Since todays soap was a salt bar with coconut milk and a known accelerator, I will blame the FO.
Yesterdays soap was mixed pretty hot . It wasn't a fast or bad acceleration, just a little faster then I expected with a high lard recipe. Maybe I'll try a 100% test batch, see how it behaves.

I too use HO safflower around 20%. Works good for me!

One thing to consider, Obsidian, is the problem might be the particular oil you've got rather than HO safflower in general. Your oil might be oxidized and so might have a higher than usual % of free fatty acids. The fatty acids would cause the batter to trace faster than usual. Unfortunately if this is the case, you can't really tell it by smell or looks, until the oil is obviously rancid. Just something to think about.

I went ahead and tried a 100% batch yesterday, it traced slowly just like OO does. I did HP and just tested the lather/sliminess. It has lather very similar too castile but more of it and it doesn't seem as slimey.
Now to wait on a nice long cure and watch for DOS. I've been trying to find a single oil replacement for OO since I can't use castile, maybe this will be it.

It's about as close a sub for olive as I've found so far.

When I look at the reports about widespread adulteration of olive oil, I'd prefer to use HO safflower than be suckered into thinking some doctored-up soybean or canola is pure olive.

I have also used rice bran oil as a sub for olive. I have to say the linoleic acid content in RBO is a concern when I look at the fatty acid profile of my recipes. That said, RBO has not been a problem in my soap, even the batches made without EDTA. I don't use RBO in high amounts in soap, and I do add ROE to the bottle of oil for storage.

It will be great if I can start subbing OO with saff, its so much cheaper and I really like the lighter color. I made it HP so I wouldn't have to wait so long to get it out of the mold. So far its hardening nicely, here's hoping it turns into a rock like castile.

I tried RBO before, the highest I went was 30%. Still have a couple bars left, no dos but they do smell a bit old. Since its more expensive then OO, it won't be something I regularly use but I wouldn't pass up a bottle on sale.

I found it locally. It wasn't labeled as HO so I used the formula DeeAnna posted on another thread to determine the oleic content. Its made by ventura foods.
saffola-percent-safflower-oil-84728.jpg

Following in Obsidian's footsteps, I made a 2.5 pound test batch of 100% HO Safflower oil soap this past Saturday. I unmolded and cut it tonight, I have to say that I was amazed at how solid white it is and very firm. It is also completely odorless. This should be interesting.

Last edited:
Back