Who puts advertising into our posts, and why were mine deleted for it?

Discussion in 'SMF Announcements, Comments, Help & Rules' started by Techie Joe, Apr 16, 2018 at 5:22 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apr 16, 2018 at 5:22 AM #1

Techie Joe

Techie Joe

Techie Joe

I normally block annoying ads because I pay for my resources and I want sites to load quickly, so if there are normally adverts on a page I'm not aware of them.

I was recently blocked from a thread and my posts deleted for advertising a product, so I arranged another way to view the thread, and lo and behold the page was full of adverts, including one in my reply that I didn't put there. Now the site takes twice as long to do anything and many options are unavailable to me.
    I was only ever given one reason for the first deletion, and no reasons at all for several more deletions and a blocking afterwards. Is that standard practice?

Is it normal practice, to edit member's posts and comments to include advertising?
    Is it also normal practice to delete their posts because of it?
    Surely the admin should know about it and not delete things?

Is there an appeals process for an unfair Admin action, or multiple actions?
    Is there a list of Admin for the members to talk to?
    Are the Admin answerable to anyone?

A small screenshot of a comment by me, with advertising inserted without my knowledge or consent, and action taken because of it.
    [​IMG]

JJ-421 likes this.
  2. Apr 16, 2018 at 12:01 PM #2

artemis

artemis

artemis

Mostly Harmless

It's not actually in your post. It's just where it's positioned on the screen. You might think about trying the SMF app. It's very zippy. I only use the website if I want to search or if the app acts up.

3. Apr 16, 2018 at 12:55 PM #3

Techie Joe

Techie Joe

Techie Joe

Actually the ad is placed above the signature line, that makes it inside the post.

4. Apr 16, 2018 at 1:13 PM #4

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Ads are one of the ways this forum gets to stay online, for people to use and enjoy for free.

These ads aren't "edited" in by moderators, it works in a similar way to watching youtube videos as a free-use user (in youtube the video will pause and the ad will play, here the ad is displayed as you view posts). Ads do not appear for people who are paid members.

Arguing about where an ad is displayed to a non-paid up member viewing a free forum is fairly pointless, IMHO.

5. Apr 16, 2018 at 1:22 PM #5

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter

Quite. If you're using the forum as a free-to-use member then you aren't paying for your resources. If you are a supporting member then the ads won't appear.

As to what is allowed to be advertised, that's for the site owners through their appointed representative (Angie) to decide. There is a vendor section for paying vendors to advertise products and services, too.

6. Apr 16, 2018 at 2:25 PM #6

Techie Joe

Techie Joe

Techie Joe

I have to admit, its probably not the best title for a thread

I agree, but that is not the main point of the original post.
    I have been treated quite badly and accused of advertising products in my articles when I have not, and my posts and replies have been deleted for it.

The amount of time it takes for one ad to load is not that significant to me, altogether on each page its an inconvenience. But because of this blocking its taking me minutes to reply or even view my own posts instead of seconds, and I keep being redirected to the home page, my time is my biggest resource.
    Same as everybody else I pay internet and electric bills and my time also costs, but these are just small points, the delays are just deliberate annoyances.

Last week when I joined this site I was optimistic, happy and humorous all the time, now between these Admin imposed restrictions, certain members reporting me for being helpful, and several other members trying to demotivate me from doing a hot process, I starting to wonder if this really is "one of the friendliest, most helpful soap making forums on the net" as claimed. I know I'm only having problems with just a handful of people out of thousands, isn't that usually the way it goes.
    Maybe I'm wrong here, and maybe I'm just feeling pushed away and hurt, and it could all be different tomorrow, but if there is something dishonest or unjust at play, it will effect everybody eventually.

7. Apr 16, 2018 at 2:35 PM #7

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

There isn't anything dishonest or unjust at play. If one of your posts was deleted, it wasn't for one of the ads that pop up in your post.

8. Apr 16, 2018 at 2:41 PM #8

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

Joe, I did not see the ads in your posts, but I do have a thought, which I address in the last paragraph below.

But I can answer one or two of your questions.

Admins are listed in the members section.
    From any page, go to Members, the select Staff
    That takes you here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/members/?type=staff

Alerts come to the member when actions are taken with their posts, such as moving a post, etc. See the Bell Icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen. If you have numbers there, click on it and you can read the alerts. I don't know how long the alerts stick around. But when I click on Show All, it only shows my alerts back to Thursday, so they obviously drop off. I do believe you have to click on the Alerts bell before they drop off, however. So maybe you can find an alert about a deleted post and it will include the why (if the admin who deleted it typed a statement in the 'why' box).
    Alerts can be found here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/account/alerts

Regarding the ads that appeared in your posts, I did not see that, but perhaps it is a good time to run a thorough scan of your computer for malware and virus. I use two programs side-by-side to ensure it doesn't get taken over by either. Malware or the like could explain what your are describing about inserting ads and the slow down you are experiencing. Just a thought.

9. Apr 16, 2018 at 3:11 PM #9

NsMar42111

NsMar42111

NsMar42111

If you are using adblocker on your browser, so do I and I don't have any weird ad issues or slow loading times. The only time I get that is when I've been hijacked. First run a scan on your computer, then check your "programs" on your computer and sort by install date-look for anything recently installed you don't receognize and delete it. My virus scan doesn't always pick up program type hijackers

10. Apr 16, 2018 at 3:21 PM #10

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I am so sorry you are feeling this way. For me, I'd like to say, please be patient and give us a chance. We are all interested in making soap, or making candles, or making bath and body products of some kind. Some of use are interested in many other kinds of handicrafts and art as well, as you can find in various posts around the forums. Our general goals are to support and help each other, as it appears to me in my experience here at SMF.

Getting off to a rocky start and sticking around to become a part of the community takes a bit of willingness to 'fit in' and look at one's own part in that rocky start. Not everyone can or feels it is necessary to do that. I got off to a rocky start here when I was new, too. At one point, I also felt as though I was treated unfairly and misunderstood. I won't go into details because it no longer really matters, but the point is that in staying, I have grown and evolved as a soapmaker, which is why I came here in the first place. I stayed because I really wanted the feedback and interaction that has helped me so much in my journey as a soapmaker. And I do believe in the value of being a productive member of society and sociologically speaking, SMF does qualify as a society. And all societies have their mōrēs, values, norms, culture. Although there are some rules and a culture statement posted on the forum, sometimes it takes time to get a feel for the underpinnings of societal norms at SMF.

My hope is that you will find it worth it to stick around and give it a chance. If you do, maybe you will find what your were looking for when you first joined, as I have.

mommycarlson, cmzaha, DeeAnna and 3 others like this.
  11. Apr 16, 2018 at 5:09 PM #11

Angie

Angie

Angie

Staff Member Admin  

The ad that is shown in the attachment above is how it looks if you are not logged in. Ads do appear.

And this thread is in poor taste. The threads that have been deleted were such as medical advice, and advertising wares. The OP has been advised that these things are not appropriate here. This is for soap making discussions and advice, not the other issues that have been posted in an effort to "evangelizing" about some products.

If there is other problems, just send me a "conversation"/message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.