Who is using safflower?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Few years back I switched from olive oil to HO safflower. I also changed my normal brand of lard when the local stores started carrying something different.

I don't remember which change happened first but I started getting DOS in almost all my soap. I stopped soaping almost completely, only making 2 or 3 batches a year.
I blamed it all on the lard but recently I started wondering if its not the saff or a combo of the lard/saff.

Had anyone else been using safflower for a long period of time? I've been using 50% lard, 30% saff, 15% coconut, 5% castor.

I bought OO, new coconut and my old brand of lard. Going to try a uncolored, unscented batch and hope for the best.

I used safflower oil in my soap that I piped onto the tops to decorate. Always had the topping be white, and it always started getting yellowish orange spots. Thought it was fo so I quit putting fo in the topping. Still happened. I quit doing the topping and quit using safflower oil.

I used safflower oil in my soap that I piped onto the tops to decorate. Always had the topping be white, and it always started getting yellowish orange spots. Thought it was fo so I quit putting fo in the topping. Still happened. I quit doing the topping and quit using safflower oil.

Hmm, maybe its been the saff all along then. How long after making did you get spots? Some batches of mine started getting them within a month or two.

Ah, the wonderful magic of soaping - I use a lot of lard and have no DOS issues. It's a funny thing, the way soaps end up can vary so much from place to place and so on.

I tend to use HO sunflower, as safflower isn't too easy to get hold of, and I've not had issues with DOS. I do keep it to around 30% though

I've used a very similar recipe as you, with ho safflower (and ho sunflower) for many years now. My lard was usually the 50 lb cube from Smart and Final (meaning it's restaurant quality, with bht and citric acid added....and sometimes that lard was 2 years old, stored in an inner room in the garage (so not exposed to the high heat, but not as cool as being in a/c in the summer). The safflower oil was fresh from Trader Joe's.

I had some nuisance spots show up on lavender essential oil soaps before one year....but after a year the progression noticeably sped up. Usually the other soaps were fine enough to give away for a good 18 months ( and longer), with few exceptions such as a bar or two from each batch. Mostly I had nuisance spots (ones that non soapers didn't notice), or the kind of dos that subtly starts discoloring the texture on top. All of these were stored unwrapped, uncovered, on built in wooden shelves in the upstairs hall....so well ventilated but not dust free. I started shrink wrapping them to store and it helped, but then I started noticing the some of them smelling old and even a bit rancid....without any dos.

Because I wanted to have my soaps last longer and be able to confidently give them away even if they were a year old, I did change my recipe from my typical 60% lard to 40%, and added 20% palm. I now shrink wrap them at about 3 months (with the palm, these soaps need at least a good 2 month cure compared to the 4 weeks of the higher lard!)....and 3 months is noticeably better.

I don't care for palm in soap; but I now have 4 and 5 year old bars that are still doing well....and many are still good enough to give away (scent is still respectably strong).

I also use 10 to 15 percent sodium citrate in every batch because so many people have hard water.

Ah, the wonderful magic of soaping - I use a lot of lard and have no DOS issues. It's a funny thing, the way soaps end up can vary so much from place to place and so on.

I tend to use HO sunflower, as safflower isn't too easy to get hold of, and I've not had issues with DOS. I do keep it to around 30% though
Sometimes that wonderful magic is a real pain in the rear lol.
I started using saff because its was very cheap and sold everywhere. Now I can't find it anywhere, not even walmart.
Sunflower and avocado are becoming more popular. I do like sunflower but its pricey.

@lenarenee I've never shrink wrapped my soaps but I'm readt to try anything at this point.

I made a batch today with the OO. Used all new oils except for the castor, a new bowl and scrubbed the heck out of all my other tools.
My old soaping bowl was years old. I don't know if plastic can eventually absorb oils but I've been wanting to replace it anyways.

I'm not a fan of palm either. A few years ago I tested lard vs palm. Started with my base recipe with 50% lard, then a direct replacement with 50% palm and just for fun, a 25% lard/25% palm recipe.
Surprisingly, the lard/palm mix performed the best. I can't find palm here and I hate buying online so I didn't continue with the blend. Maybe I should try it again.

Interesting.

Look in the baking aisle where they sell margerine, lard, Crisco. Target has it, Walmart, grocery store, etc.

Spectrum Organic Vegetable Shortening - 100% expeller-pressed palm oil
I know where to look, my local stores don't carry it. Its the one downfall of living in a small town, many items cannot be found.
I'd have to drive 45+ miles to the nearest target to even have a chance

I'd have to drive 45+ miles to the nearest target to even have a chance
I have a friend with the same problem. :( But she loves the small town atmosphere!

Try ordering online from Walmart. I order my laundry supplies, Gorilla Glue, Steering Wheel Fluid, etc. and soon NaOH Drain Cleaner from there. FREE shipping for me. Some things show up in 2 hours! (Walmart is 5 minutes away.) Others take days but still, worth trying for stuff you can't find locally.
With the price of gas these days, may be cheaper in the long run. :smallshrug:

I should just order from amazon. I have prime so most things ship for free. Even walmart is 30 miles away so I only go when I have too. Its one reason I design recipes with grocery store ingredients.

hopefully going back to OO will fix the problem, if not I'll have to look into options to lower the lard. I've tried soy flakes but I don't care much for it, palm is better.

I should just order from amazon. I have prime so most things ship for free. Even walmart is 30 miles away so I only go when I have too. Its one reason I design recipes with grocery store ingredients.

hopefully going back to OO will fix the problem, if not I'll have to look into options to lower the lard. I've tried soy flakes but I don't care much for it, palm is better.
I'm finding a lot of supplies are cheaper there than from a soaping supplier, especially with the delivery

If you haven’t ordered online from Walmart before, you can usually get free delivery on your first delivered purchase. Then just cancel the delivery service, unless you will use it often enough to justify the fee.

With the free delivery, their price on Spectrum or another palm shortening will probably be cheaper than Amazon. I do believe there is a $35 minimum order, but you could have other groceries or items delivered at the same time.

Of course, that’s assuming their grocery delivery comes to your area - which it may not. If that is the case, check out Big Lots. Even if they aren’t close to you, they offer free postal delivery for orders of a certain size. They usually have a palm oil product available, and they always have the best price on CO, although I think you don’t use much of that, IIRC. But there might be something else you’d want from them, to get up to the free shipping minimum.

which it may not. If that is the case, check out Big Lots. Even if they aren’t close to you, they offer free postal delivery for orders of a certain size. They usually have a palm oil product available, and they always have the best price on CO,
Good to know!
Thank You.gif

I’m really confused now. A couple of months ago, there was a thread complaining about Olive oil prices and availability. Someone suggested safflower or sunflower. Now I’m afraid to try it.

Back