Who here uses homemade makeup?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
First, I have to point out that I'm not looking for recipes, unless you wanna share lol.

I'm just curious. What I do want to know is.... How do they feel compared to the store bought ones? How about longevity (on the face and in the container)?

Also... If anyone is willing to share pics I really wanna see hehe. There's a whole slew of homemade blush, lipstick, foundation, etc. recipes online but there's rarely pics of em being used, usually just the product.

Edit: And oh, do you sell them? CAN you sell them? Err.. I should add that I'm not looking into selling em either lol

I would love to know this too! I’ve mixed up my own lip balm and deodorant but have not delved into makeup at all.

Now you have me thinking about putting madder root into lip balm. :rolleyes:

I would love to know this too! I’ve mixed up my own lip balm and deodorant but have not delved into makeup at all.

Now you have me thinking about putting madder root into lip balm. :rolleyes:
Oh. There was a recent thread where someone mentioned that not all madder root powder is lip safe. Just in case you decide to do it...

I keep wondering about mine too, which came from somewhere akin to an apothecary, sold by a "herbal doctor," in Pakistan.

Oh. There was a recent thread where someone mentioned that not all madder root powder is lip safe. Just in case you decide to do it...

I keep wondering about mine too, which came from somewhere akin to an apothecary, sold by a "herbal doctor," in Pakistan.
Interesting! I *think* mine had instructions for tea on it, so I assumed it was always safe for lips, but now that I think about it, eating something and wearing it on your lips are different things. I’m really silly when I get excited. I will check my bag and read up on it thoroughly before following through, thank you for the reminder to use caution!

I can’t help here. I never wear much if any makeup. Marie Rayma at Humble Bee and Me has a book that has photos of people with the makeup on, but I can’t recall if she shares any of those online. I have thought about making my own sunscreen though. Even if it didn’t work as well as commercial sunscreen it would help, and I would know what is in it.

I have made eyeshadow, eye primer, lipstick and face powder with the recipes from the book Make it up from Humblebeeandme.com
It was fairly easy, I think it would fall under cosmetics regulations. I have not looked into that, just made it for myself and sisters.
img_3248.jpg

img_3439.jpg

Last edited:
@Mobjack Bay I use minimal makeup too, mostly just lipstick and eyeliner, and only when I need to dress up.

Actually, Marie Rayma is one of the few who shows some pics on her site haha..

I've read that sunscreen is one of those things that should be left to those with the industrial equipment. Something about dispersing... I would think the reef safe sunscreens are worth looking into?

I have made eyeshadow, eye primer, lipstick and face powder with the recipes from the book Make it up from Humblebeeandme.com
It was fairly easy, I think it would fall under cosmetics regulations. I have not looked into that, just made it for myself and sisters.
Bt6M1fylmIPjjSkt6cE-7KfS9afI_xGI9L6Do40
Oooh interesting! Are the recipes in the book different from the ones on her site? I assume, yes.

How do they feel compared to the store bought ones? How about longevity (on the face and in the container)?

Your pic isn't showing though :(

@Mobjack Bay I use minimal makeup too, mostly just lipstick and eyeliner, and only when I need to dress up.

Actually, Marie Rayma is one of the few who shows some pics on her site haha..

I've read that sunscreen is one of those things that should be left to those with the industrial equipment. Something about dispersing... I would think the reef safe sunscreens are worth looking into?

Oooh interesting! Are the recipes in the book different from the ones on her site? I assume, yes.

How do they feel compared to the store bought ones? How about longevity (on the face and in the container)?

Your pic isn't showing though :(
I just updated my first post to show the pictures of the eyeshadows.

I believe the recipes are slightly different from the book vs the website, in the website she states the ones in the book are simpler.
My complexion is a lot darker than hers so per what she suggested in the book, I have had to add more pigments to mine. I have had more success with some colors than others. But overall, once you have the materials, it’s a lot of fun and cheaper to make a multitude of colors than buying them.
Most of her eyeshadow recipes are very matte, most store bought eyeshadow have a lot if sparkle. My sister said they lasted her longer on the face (I gave her a primer too). I don’t use makeup every day, so I think they are going to last me a long time!

I make my own foundation and concealer and lip tint
How big a difference from store bought?

I've never used concealer in my life lol and I'm turned off from foundation by the amount of time it used to take me to put it on. I was given a bottle and it expired almost still full haha. Never bought before nor after that lol

Last edited:
How big a difference from store bought?

I've never used concealer in my life lol and I'm turned off from foundation by the amount of time it used to take me to put it on. I was given a bottle and it expired almost still full haha

I like the concealer a lot better.. it doesnt cake up on me. I love love love the lip tint way better than any gloss or lipstick Ive bought. The foundation Ive found doesnt have as much coverage but it also doesnt make me break out as bad

The lip tint I use a little beeswax, coconut oil and lip safe mica. a few drops of apricot oil and a little tapioca starch to make it slightly more opaque.

The only homemade skincare product that is used now is soap. I first tried it several months ago, and now I cannot live without all-natural soap with crops. It is much better for the skin than most soaps you can buy in a shop.
I would also like to try to make my mineral makeup, but I haven’t got time for that yet. The soap that I use is lavender and sometimes basilic. I like how it smells and how it feels. One day, when I study at nwcollege.edu, I will learn more about makeup and probably be able to create my makeup. I dream of opening an all-natural beauty salon that will mostly use my homemade products.

Just be aware that making makeup to sell is a whole different ballgame compared with making it for yourself. A person needs to know and adhere to the rules and regulations for cosmetics as well as how to make the products before one sells.

That's why a lot of us only sell soap; we might make other lotions and potions for personal use, but don't sell them.

Back