Who here makes soaps fragrance-free, essential-oil free exclusively?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are going to serve the 1% of the market that needs "everything free" products, you need to be prepared for your business to not be self sustaining. If you are going into this to help people, then you aren't going to be prioritizing profit. If you are prioritizing profit, you won't only be helping those people, you will be making soap for others. It wouldn't be the end of the world to do both IMHO, unless YOU are the person you are mostly trying to help. If so, consider it a hobby that you occasionally make a sale from. But you still have to have a tax ID, insurance, business license, etc...

ETA: Was typing when you posted the reply, so my apologies. If you are giving away the soap, then you can avoid half the headache of going into business. Unfortunately, I would still get insurance.

If you are going to serve the 1% of the market that needs "everything free" products, you need to be prepared for your business to not be self sustaining. If you are going into this to help people, then you aren't going to be prioritizing profit. If you are prioritizing profit, you won't only be helping those people, you will be making soap for others. It wouldn't be the end of the world to do both IMHO, unless YOU are the person you are mostly trying to help. If so, consider it a hobby that you occasionally make a sale from. But you still have to have a tax ID, insurance, business license, etc...

ETA: Was typing when you posted the reply, so my apologies. If you are giving away the soap, then you can avoid half the headache of going into business. Unfortunately, I would still get insurance.
My ETA and your post crossed paths. I know the business side of it.

I won't be prioritizing profits. People are much more important than money. I'll have to have the finances to make it happen, of course, but these can come from personal money.

It is the end of the world to make fragranced products though in addition to the fragrance-free ones. I cannot physically encounter fragrance oils and many essential oils. It knocks me out of commission for weeks. If I read your statement correctly, no, there is no way that I will be making both kinds of products.

But if people who buy scented soaps also want to buy my fragrance-free soaps, of course they can. I won't exclude anyone, I'll just make sure that the needs of the few are taken care of first.

it is an actual business or just a soap ministry. If I discover that the 1% cannot support an actual business, I'm still happy spending my spare time and money making soaps to give away to the 1%.

I understand this is a concept that is difficult for most people to grasp. When it is this important, you find a way.

It's not difficult concept to grasp, just a whole different concept than a business. The responses you are getting are relating to it as a business.

If we're talking about a ministry, then that's an entirely different conversation with entirely different concerns. The others' points are still valid in regards to a successful soaping business.

If you are just talking about you making soap and occasionally selling/gifting bars... I think we all do a little of that-- keep on keeping on.

I believe your goals to provide fragrance-free soap for the people who need it is definitely worthwhile and I hope you are successful in your endeavor, whether you do it as a ministry, a hobby, a business or a combination thereof. The need is surely there and even though 1% doesn't sound like a lot, 1% of a million people is still a huge number of people, so there is no arguing that the numbers aren't there to support such a business. Marketing and Online orders could be a way to grow a business like this and perhaps over time it may grow to be profitable.

There is a restaurant my husband and I love to go to whenever we are in Little Rock. It's called Tacos 4 Life. For every meal we eat or purchase, they give a meal to Feed My Starving Children. If we don't eat an entire meal, but even only one taco, a portion of that money is donated as well, so everything we eat there is helping to provide meals to children around the world in need of food. In addition to that, their employees (some at least, as our waitress was leaving the next day for one and said some of her co-workers did this as well) volunteer in some of the locations where FMSC goes (over 60 countries). And this business (Tacos 4 Life) is growing, so it is my belief that philanthropic businesses can and do succeed.

I believe your goals to provide fragrance-free soap for the people who need it is definitely worthwhile and I hope you are successful in your endeavor, whether you do it as a ministry, a hobby, a business or a combination thereof. The need is surely there and even though 1% doesn't sound like a lot, 1% of a million people is still a huge number of people, so there is no arguing that the numbers aren't there to support such a business. Marketing and Online orders could be a way to grow a business like this and perhaps over time it may grow to be profitable.

There is a restaurant my husband and I love to go to whenever we are in Little Rock. It's called Tacos 4 Life. For every meal we eat or purchase, they give a meal to Feed My Starving Children. If we don't eat an entire meal, but even only one taco, a portion of that money is donated as well, so everything we eat there is helping to provide meals to children around the world in need of food. In addition to that, their employees (some at least, as our waitress was leaving the next day for one and said some of her co-workers did this as well) volunteer in some of the locations where FMSC goes (over 60 countries). And this business (Tacos 4 Life) is growing, so it is my belief that philanthropic businesses can and do succeed.

Yes, this! I swear I saw a statistic that said something closer to 30% of the population has reactions to fragrances in some form. Much more than the 1% I'm pretending exists.

Without going into why I know this, I can tell you that the very worst thing to have happen is to have a disability or a significant limitation like this (fragrances are everywhere!) and have people act like your needs are irrelevant, that there is no hope for you, and that you are just too difficult to help. I've heard all of these things personally. It does something to your soul. It either crushes your soul, or it lights a fire under your butt. It has done both to me.

I appreciate you sharing the story of this business thriving!

Last edited:
I started this hobby due to allergies to commercially prepared soap, so I understand the desire to help the people who are reacting. I have given many an unscented/uncolored batch of soap to people with skin and respiratory reactions. I have specific equipment and molds set aside, and stored completely separately, for exactly the people you are trying to help. The problem is that once those people know what they are reacting to, and that hand made soap is the solution, they either start making their own, or have already solved the issue of what to bathe with/clean with/etc using cheaper products. So, yes, while you are talking about around 25%-30% of the population has a reaction to fragrance in some form, you really are talking about 1% of the population who has not figured out a solution on their own. And I am not saying any of this to beat you over the head with numbers, but to try to truly make you aware of what you are going to face. Because that was exactly what I set out to do, help that niche market.

The problem is that once those people know what they are reacting to, and that hand made soap is the solution, they either start making their own, or have already solved the issue of what to bathe with/clean with/etc using cheaper products.
I don't see this as a problem. I see this as my counterparts gaining function, and I refuse to believe that this is a bad thing. If they get to the point where they can do this on their own, I would be rejoicing! Most of my counterparts have days on end where they cannot function at a basic level for many reasons, including drop attacks. I rather doubt they would be messing around with lye.

And I am not saying any of this to beat you over the head with numbers, but to try to truly make you aware of what you are going to face. Because that was exactly what I set out to do, help that niche market.

I've run my own business and understand the business side of things. I know how to read market response, which is part of why I may never turn it into a business and just keep it as on an individual gift basis. I haven't made any final decisions in this regard.

Latest posts

Back