Who here makes soaps fragrance-free, essential-oil free exclusively?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by plantiest, May 16, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. May 16, 2019 #1

plantiest

plantiest

plantiest

I'm just getting back into soap making. I will be making exclusively no added fragrance or essential oil soaps. Just wondering if there are others like me?

2. May 16, 2019 #2

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Not me :p

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  3. May 16, 2019 #3

Misschief

Misschief

Misschief

Supporting Member

I have one soap in my line that is colour free and fragrance free. People pick it up, smell it, and put it down. Then, they buy some of my strongest scented soap.

Susie, melinda48 and KiwiMoose like this.
  4. May 16, 2019 #4

plantiest

plantiest

plantiest

I would be the person who seeks out the fragrance-free, essential-oil-free soaps. Unfortunately, if they are cured in the same space with scented soaps, the fragrance-free soap will absorb the neighboring scents. Figured that out the hard way. Easiest to make my own so I can control it.

5. May 16, 2019 #5

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Haha As Carolyn knows, fragrance sells!

I'm like you... I like fragrance free just about everything, as does my sister, and "other ladies of a certain age" I think. Zany's No Slime Castile is really nice all by itself with no fragrance; no color. You might want to give it a go.

When I made soap and lotion for a wholesale customer, we always included a fragrance free option. It didn't sell as well as the other scents, but it did have a loyal following. Of the other fragrances, Lavender EO was the top seller.

6. May 16, 2019 #6

plantiest

plantiest

plantiest

We are a fragrance-free home originally out of medical necessity, and I think we will always be fragrance free. Lavender would be the death of me.

7. May 16, 2019 #7

Primrose

Primrose

Primrose

I make a plain no colour no scent soap, a no colour no scent oatmeal and honey, a no colour no scent castile. A range of essential oil only and natural colourants. And a range of FO with mica.

These soaps all go on the same curing racks and I can honestly say I have never had any of the unscented ones pick up scent from the others.

I've only had one, very awful, FO that would spread to other soaps but only if they were touching.

8. May 16, 2019 #8

Steve85569

Steve85569

Steve85569

Supporting Member

I have a customer that wants scent free. She gets it. I make a batch every 6 or 8 months for her. In the mean time others will trade me for the plain ones she doesn't want.
    It's really not a problem to do since some florals that I use move fast.

9. May 16, 2019 #9

geniash

geniash

geniash

IG: @truesoapgeek Supporting Member

I've made 2 batches fragrance-free soaps and one where I simply forgot to add essential oils (duh!). I still have most of the soaps in these 3 batches on me. They sell very very slow. There is certainly a niche for it, in some areas more than the others.

10. May 16, 2019 #10

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I hear ya sister!

Somebody on here once said "no smelly, no selly" and I often think of that.

Zany_in_CO likes this.
  11. May 16, 2019 #11

plantiest

plantiest

plantiest

Interesting! I had bought some oatmeal/goat's milk/honey soap from an artisan a long time ago. It was lovely and with no added scent. So the next time I ordered, I bought an entire loaf. When the package arrived, I could smell patchouli through the package. The soap was absolutely unusable. On investigation, she had made the entire recipe the same as before, but she had let them cure in the same space as a patchouli batch. I had to return the entire thing. It was then that I started making my own. With little ones though, I had to shelf the project for a while. Now that they are older, I can take up the project again.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  12. May 16, 2019 #12

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

I don't think that any one here sells Only soaps with no color/scent

13. May 16, 2019 #13

plantiest

plantiest

plantiest

I have done exhaustive searches in the past, and I definitely never located anyone.

14. May 16, 2019 #14

BubblesnBears

BubblesnBears

BubblesnBears

Not exclusively - but I make a “nothing added” soap, and a fragrance/colour free soap with oatmeal. Cure them separately and store them separately. Oatmeal is a reasonably good seller, but the plain one I probably sell one bar for every 15 of my other varieties.

15. May 16, 2019 #15

MarnieSoapien

MarnieSoapien

MarnieSoapien

One of my cousins contacted me recently and asked if I would make fragrance free soaps for her. I think she has an allergy or sensitivity and her doctor told her to only buy fragrance free soaps. I'm not selling my soaps yet, but I like the option of fragrance free. I can see from previous posts that I won't need a large stock of unscented soaps!

16. May 16, 2019 #16

plantiest

plantiest

plantiest

Your cousin is lucky to have you as a resource. Fragrance-free helps to eliminate possible sources of reactions, which can be really important in the diagnosis and management of certain conditions. The simpler, the better, in my humble opinion.

17. May 16, 2019 #17

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

I think a lot of us get into this and become obsessed with the fragrance options. Like me!

KiwiMoose likes this.
  18. May 16, 2019 #18

Obsidian

Obsidian

Obsidian

I make fragrance and color free for my son in law. Recently, some of his family are also ordering it.
    I don't normally sell but I do charge enough to cover supplies when I get a custom order.

I have another relative who only uses my salt bars. I used to make a variety of colored and scented for her but went to plain as she really doesn't care about scent.

I also have noticed scent transfer if the unscented bars are on the same rack as scented.

19. May 16, 2019 #19

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

You also need to keep in mind it could be the soap itself that is bothersome. Some folks simply cannot use lye based soap handmade soap.

As for ever making a business selling unfragranced soap I would wish anyone good luck with that one. It can take me up to 2 years + to sell a 14 bar batch of unscented no color added soap. I have never noticed a scent transfer during cure time, maybe if next to a soap like my DB it might transfer, but should still be only on the surface, so will wash off. Admittedly I never cure no scent next to my strong fragranced soaps.

Primrose likes this.
  20. May 16, 2019 #20

plantiest

plantiest

plantiest

I will be doing it someday. Just because people like me need safe personal care products, and they are so difficult to find. My personal kryptonite is fragrance (both synthetic and essential oils). People who have these profound reactions are the very best to understand the similar needs of others. This is something I will eventually do as a side business, or as a small business to teach my homeschooling kids the ins and outs of serving others while teaching them business skills.

Iluminameluna and KiwiMoose like this.