Whittany Who?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhittanyWho

Small Time Soaper
Reaction score
I’ve found SMF very helpful over the years, but I’ve never signed up to participate in discussions. One of my soap sisters invited me to challenge with her, and here I am getting started so I can do so eventually.
I’m a full time math teacher and a small time soap maker. I’m glad to join and see all there is in this soap making community.
6DBBFB42-E286-4997-9DE6-985872D5F7EA.jpeg

Last edited:
I know that soap and it’s such a great design! Welcome!
Thank you 🥰. Maybe I will put 2 and 2 together and figure out who you are soon 😀

View attachment 64962 Those soaps have a very calming effect. I think it's because of the precision of the design as well as the execution. Math teacher indeed! :D

View attachment 64963
Thank you 🥰

Welcome. Your soap is lovely!:)
Thank you so much 🥰

Thank you all so much! I’m learning how this forum works and maybe it’s easier to respond once here as opposed to each individual since there’s, understandably, a wait time. 😃

.Now class, if I have 4 oz of palm oil, 6oz of coconut oil and 8oz of olive oil, how many ml would I have? And how much lye would I need, if I wanted 5% superfat .....😆
HAH! Trick question! 😜

Since "how many ml" is a volume measure one would have to assume "4 oz", "6 oz" and "8 oz" are volume measures, i.e., "fl. oz". One would have to melt each oil to measure ml accurately in order to find total ml amount.

Then, to figure the amount of lye needed for 5% SF, and since calculators are programed for oz net wt., one would have to weigh the melted oils to learn the amount of lye needed.

Tricky teacher! :nodding:

I have one of their routers as well. Perhaps I am not waiting long enough to bevel, but it seems I do more damage to the face of the soap than I benefit from the nice beveled edge.

I like to bevel once the soap has cured or at least had a couple of days to set up. When I'm doing a challenge entry and have to get the soap finished sooner, I have a much harder time beveling it since it's still fairly soft. I also have to remind myself not to push down against the face of the soap and to focus pressure on the side. That helps, but sometimes I sill have to clean the face up or plane it for pictures.

I like to bevel once the soap has cured or at least had a couple of days to set up. When I'm doing a challenge entry and have to get the soap finished sooner, I have a much harder time beveling it since it's still fairly soft. I also have to remind myself not to push down against the face of the soap and to focus pressure on the side. That helps, but sometimes I sill have to clean the face up or plane it for pictures.
Thank you!. I'll try it again, it is such a clever device. I may also try laying it on a piece of freezer paper to avoid scuffing the soap as i bevel the edges.

looking at their routers now. I do both size soaps...standard mold and the ts mold. I can't figure out the picture. Do you think I could just get the 5" router? Would it work for both size soaps?
I use the 5" one for all my soaps with no problems.

But double-check with @violets2217 about the size of her soaps. She was the first one to ask Chass for a special order larger size (which is now a regular option).

Back