White Spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractorgrl

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm dealing with a significant number of white spots all over the cut bars of my two latest batches of soap. I've had this happen before when I've accidentally gone a bit lye-heavy, however this time they all pass the zap test. Would you still think this is due to too much lye even though there is no zap? Or possibly some other issue? I used a recipe that I've been using regularly for the past 5+ years, developed using SoapCalc. Only thing I'm thinking is that possibly not all lye was dissolved prior to mixing with oils. We've also been having crazy humidity that we are not used to, could this have played a role? Any insight you may have would be appreciated.

Definitely not soda ash, it is throughout the bars not just on top and was there when I cut. Now that I've done a bit more searching I'm thinking it's stearic acid. Will try to get a pic.

Hi All,

I'm dealing with a significant number of white spots all over the cut bars of my two latest batches of soap. I've had this happen before when I've accidentally gone a bit lye-heavy, however this time they all pass the zap test. Would you still think this is due to too much lye even though there is no zap? Or possibly some other issue? I used a recipe that I've been using regularly for the past 5+ years, developed using SoapCalc. Only thing I'm thinking is that possibly not all lye was dissolved prior to mixing with oils. We've also been having crazy humidity that we are not used to, could this have played a role? Any insight you may have would be appreciated.
Are they bumps or actual white spots? I was having issues with bumpy cut bars it was driving me insane and come to find out it was a combination of my recipe (more hard oils) and cutter wires because once planed they are smooth. Plane one of your bars and see if it dissappears maybe.

Definitely not soda ash, it is throughout the bars not just on top and was there when I cut. Now that I've done a bit more searching I'm thinking it's stearic acid. Will try to get a pic.
If it's stearic acid, the spots will appear to be soapy, not crystalline.

Latest posts

Back