White spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunibee

Reaction score
Hi , is made a 100% coconut oil soap . With koh and 0% superfat for dishes and clothes . My clothes are fine . But my dishes have white spots on them. I have hard water in my place is it soap scum. After reading up on soap scum I Ordered EDTA for soap scum on Amazon
IMG_20210506_170031.jpg
and got Di sodium.. how do I add it to my liquid soap now. Please help.

https://classicbells.com/soap/EDTA.aspNa₂EDTA is slightly acidic (two of its tetra (four) acetic sites have sodium, two are still acidic). Assuming it's the dihydrate, it has a molar mass of M=372.24 g/mol, so each gram of Na₂EDTA contains 5.4 mmol acid. To convert 1 g of (acidic) Na₂EDTA to (neutral/soap-stable) Na₂K₂EDTA, add the equivalent amount of 0.30 g of pure KOH (or 0.36 g of KOH at 85% purity, you get the spirit).

With liquid soap, adding sodium in any form can give surprising results (opacity, thickening, ricing, separation), although coconut oil is not overly suscpetible to these effects.
When you have KOH at hand anyway, Na₂K₂EDTA will do the same job as Na₄EDTA, just with half the amount of added sodium.

Hi , thank you. So I cannot do anything to this batch of soap now. But should add to the next batch that I am making ?

What? Of course you can still add it to your soap! It's liquid soap, just dissolve KOH and Na₂EDTA in a small amount of water and stir it into the soap.
Or, in case you have made a stiff soap paste (concentrate), make a solution and add a small amount of it to your laundry each time.

Hi , is made a 100% coconut oil soap . With koh and 0% superfat for dishes and clothes . My clothes are fine . But my dishes have white spots on them. I have hard water in my place is it soap scum. After reading up on soap scum I Ordered EDTA for soap scum on Amazon View attachment 57002 and got Di sodium.. how do I add it to my liquid soap now. Please help.

You can convert di-sodium EDTA into Tetra-sodium EDTA. Some reports indicate that Disodium EDTA is not water soluble, so if you find that to be the case, follow DeeAnna's instructions below.

DeeAnna's instructions: How to convert DIsodium-EDTA into TETRAsodium-EDDTA (scroll down toward the lower half of the page,)

Latest posts

Back