White spots while mixing ,CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelka

Reaction score
Hi there!

I just made a soap however during blending I saw white spots and I'm afraid that it's a lye.

Soap is now curing and hopefully spots will disappear.
Did any of you had a similar situation?
I started to think that maybe I wasn't consistent with mixing or lye solution suppose to be in different concentration.

Attachments

• 20210608_195617.jpg
    20210608_195617.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210608_194002.jpg
    20210608_194002.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 21
your lye concentration is 30%
(change the selection from lye as a percentage of oils to lye concentration to get consistant results)
this lye concentration could be increased to 33% or more for this recipe, but is perfectly acceptable as it is

did you fully dissolve your lye crystals in water, until the lye water was clear, before adding this to your oils?
if your lye water was not clear before you added it to the oils, there may have been undissolved lye crystals
this is concerning

describing how you made the soap will help people help you

Many soapmakers pour the lye through a strainer into the oils, to absolutely exclude solid lye pieces getting into the batter.

False trace is another option. Were the oils fully melted, and the lye at the same temperature? [ETA: Looking at your recipe, I can't really imagine this is false trace, since you opted to not include any hard oils.]

Or air bubbles. Faithfully burp the stick blender before SBing to avoid these in the first place.

your lye concentration is 30%
(change the selection from lye as a percentage of oils to lye concentration to get consistant results)
this lye concentration could be increased to 33% or more for this recipe, but is perfectly acceptable as it is

did you fully dissolve your lye crystals in water, until the lye water was clear, before adding this to your oils?
if your lye water was not clear before you added it to the oils, there may have been undissolved lye crystals
this is concerning

describing how you made the soap will help people help you
Water was clear and I also used strainer - better be safe than sorry.
I will try again this recipe but with lye concentration like you mentioned. Thank you 😊

Many soapmakers pour the lye through a strainer into the oils, to absolutely exclude solid lye pieces getting into the batter.

False trace is another option. Were the oils fully melted, and the lye at the same temperature? [ETA: Looking at your recipe, I can't really imagine this is false trace, since you opted to not include any hard oils.]

Or air bubbles. Faithfully burp the stick blender before SBing to avoid these in the first place.
I used the strainer. Oils and lye were at 37 Celsius.
Now as you mentioned air bubbles can be the case, while I was mixing it with blender I saw in the beginning lots of air bubbles and then I was more careful with stirring trying to avoid bubbles

from your description your soap will be fine
if it is air bubbles or some lumps of coconut soap or similar, it is purely cosmetic
it is not lye crystals

now we wait for the cut photos 😍

Latest posts

Back