White spots in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmkieva

Reaction score

I recently made a "mostly olive oil" soap, and I have white spots that I've never seen before. I've used the soap and have encountered no problems with it, i.e., lye pockets, but I want to ask if it is safe to sell this soap.

IMO, if there is even a hint of a problem, then no it is not advisable to sell or even share a product.

It also looks like it's got DOS. There's something going on I wouldn't share or sell that. You don't say when it was made or what other ingredients or additives, EO/FO's used.

It may be the sugar and/or salt I added to increase lather/bubbles. Maybe it wasn't dissolved enough.

Thanks for the link. The article says, "If you get them, don’t worry. As long as they don’t zap or ooze, then you are probably okay. They are simply a cosmetic issue." Good to know.

Salt could make the small white spots. I’ve added salt intentionally in soap and seen that sort of feature. It’s the yellow discoloration previously mentioned that looks problematic to me.

How did you dissolve your salt and sugar? If you dissolved in the the lye then it is probably crystals and you really would not know what is lye or salt/sugar. Salt and Sugar have to be thoroughly dissolved before adding it to lye solution. Salt can add specks if added directly to your oils.

I say no to selling it especially because you have to ask such a question. This makes me think you are not ready to sell. Know What You are Selling....

Back