'White' Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really tried to do a white soap. But I just couldn't help myself...
For @Hendejm and @Zing, with love from KiwiMoose x

IMG_0680.jpg
IMG_2842.jpeg
IMG_2843.jpeg
IMG_2845.jpeg

how are you getting the glycerine rivers? it makes them look pretty. can I ask though--is it hard where they are or more liquidy? I cant tell

how are you getting the glycerine rivers? it makes them look pretty. can I ask though--is it hard where they are or more liquidy? I cant tell
Glycerin rivers are a by-product of two things in my soap - TD and gelling. If I use a lye concentration 0f 28 % (which i tend to to do if I want to swirl) it will pretty much guarantee gelling. When TD heats in the gelling process - the result is glycerin rivers. They are a tad softer I think, but not much.

Wow, interesting. On-demand-glycerine-rivers would be so cool.

The soap is very inviting - like cool summer breeze.

Glycerin rivers are a by-product of two things in my soap - TD and gelling. If I use a lye concentration 0f 28 % (which i tend to to do if I want to swirl) it will pretty much guarantee gelling. When TD heats in the gelling process - the result is glycerin rivers. They are a tad softer I think, but not much.
Glycerin rivers are not actually because of heat or gelling. They come when you use full water.

If you use a lye concentration of 33% even if you use TD and force gel by CPOPing you will not get glycerine rivers.

See Aunty Clara’s blog for confirming photos. She also shows what glycerine rivers look like in soap over time:
https://auntieclaras.com/2014/05/glycerine-rivers-secret-revealed/

Really lovely! I've been trying to get white soap lately too. That is why I tried using tallow. I ordered TD, so will play around with that too. Are you happy with the glycerine rivers or would you have preferred it to be more of a solid color? I think it's nice either way.

I’m wanting to do a white bar soon myself. You produced a stunning soap though. What color micas did you use @KiwiMoose? I want to try piping some roses soon and was thinking about a completely uncool red and unfragranced loaf with piped flowers on top because people with sensitive skin deserve some fun too.

Really lovely! I've been trying to get white soap lately too. That is why I tried using tallow. I ordered TD, so will play around with that too. Are you happy with the glycerine rivers or would you have preferred it to be more of a solid color? I think it's nice either way.
I don't mind the rivers - I expected I would get them. I'd prefer not, but they don't bother me at all.

I choose not to worry about those little glycerin rivers. More often than not - they make really interesting, beautiful surprises! I’ve had one soap that looked like a hot mess (dare I share?) but other than that I really now enjoy them. Well done, Grere!

I choose not to worry about those little glycerin rivers. More often than not - they make really interesting, beautiful surprises! I’ve had one soap that looked like a hot mess (dare I share?) but other than that I really now enjoy them. Well done, Grere!

Ooohhh, share on the fugly soap thread!

Back