White mica??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraf

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has ever used white mica to dye olive oil soap? I have used all sorts of colours but never white ( my soaps naturally go a little yellowish) I would love to know if white would lighten them..

Just wondering if anyone has ever used white mica to dye olive oil soap? I have used all sorts of colours but never white ( my soaps naturally go a little yellowish) I would love to know if white would lighten them..

Titanium dioxide is a good way to whiten CP soap. You could use white mica, which itself is probably mineral mica plus titanium dioxide. I haven't tried that so I don't know if the result is any better than using titanium dioxide alone.

I've used super pearly white mica from Bramble Berry to lighten my soaps occasionally only when I am either out of or running low on titanium dioxide. White mica works okay in a pinch, but I prefer titanium dioxide to get a nice white bar, especially for a high olive oil soap. I love my white mica for creating shimmery pastels!

I have tested using white mica to lighten up the soap batter but find it takes way too much and doesnt' give the same results as TD. I recommend using TD for a nice white bar of soap. Plus Mica is more expensive with not the same results.

Last edited:
While I've never used white mica alone I do add it to my titanium dioxide if I want it to sparkle. I use the Super Sparkle (I think that's the name) from Nuture and just bought Here Comes the Bride from Mad Oils but haven't tried it yet

I have tested using white mica to lighten up the soap batter but find it takes way too much and doesnt' give the same results as TD. I recommend using TD for a nice white bar of soap. Plus Mica is more expensive with not the same results.

I found the same result. The white mica is much more expensive than TD, too, so I was glad I didn't buy a whole bunch of it.

I've used the white micas from nurture and mad oils to whiten and already mostly white batter and dumped spoonful after spoonful into the batter and it didn't make any difference at all! I like td so much better.

Back