White fuzz on my soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"...Sorry for the mis-spelling, DeeAnna. ..."

No problem! :)

"... I wonder if possibly higher water content in other recipes encourages ash? Or slow saponification?..."

It is very likely the high water content = more ash. The water will transport free alkali (lye) to the surface of the soap so the lye can react with carbon dioxide in the air to make soda ash.

The different types of crystal formations are most likely a result of different environmental conditions when the soda ash is forming -- air humidity, temperature, etc. If you look at the many different types of crystalline rocks (quartz, for example), you'll see big crystals, little crystals, single crystals, many crystals, long ones, short ones, etc. Soda ash is no different.

My guess is if we could see the different types of soda ash formations under a microscope, there would be certain things in common for all of the crystals, such as the number of sides to a particular crystal, even though the overall appearance might be quite different.

Last edited:
"...Sorry for the mis-spelling, DeeAnna. ..."

No problem! :)

"... I wonder if possibly higher water content in other recipes encourages ash? Or slow saponification?..."

It is very likely the high water content = more ash. The water will transport free alkali (lye) to the surface of the soap so the lye can react with carbon dioxide in the air to make soda ash.

The different types of crystal formations are most likely a result of different environmental conditions when the soda ash is forming -- air humidity, temperature, etc. If you look at the many different types of crystalline rocks (quartz, for example), you'll see big crystals, little crystals, single crystals, many crystals, long ones, short ones, etc. Soda ash is no different.

My guess is if we could see the different types of soda ash formations under a microscope, there would be certain things in common for all of the crystals, such as the number of sides to a particular crystal, even though the overall appearance might be quite different.

Good guess. Crystal structure is how substances are identified, because they aren't all the same, but have identifying characteristics. I suspect that if you check out "acicular" crystals, you will find information on why some soda ash is needle- or hair-like.

Latest posts

Back