white colour on one side of the soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyprince

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have just made a batch of turmeric and honey soap.
I have poured some soap into small silikone molds but when I take them out and let dry I noticed a white layer form on just one side.I wonder why that happened.Does alcohol spray help if applief just after pouring into molds?or what else can be done.any input will be highly appreciated.thanks in advance.Here are some photos to give some idea

20141010_095548.jpg

20141010_095452.jpg

I agree with TEG it's ash. I seem to get it mostly when I use individual molds as they don't generally gel and are exposed to the air more. You can either embrace it a or rinse it or steam it off. I try to usually embrace it. It will still be perfectly fine to use.

I agree with the others - soda ash.
Boil the kettle and when it's steaming, give the soap a quick blast on the ash side.
Be careful not to burn yourself, and the soap can get a little slippery too. You might want to wear gloves to avoid fingerprints as well.

I've read where you can put rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and lightly spray the mold before pouring and then right after pouring the soap into the mold, you can spray rubbing alcohol on the top to prevent the soda ash on the part exposed tot he air.

Thanks a lot to :TheOneWhoSoaps for your great idea.That's really very clever.
Also thanks a lot to Luckyone80 for great info.

The Efficacious Gentleman; thank you for your input too...

Latest posts

Back