White circles around exfoliate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruthie

Reaction score
Made coffee soap with added coffee grounds for the local coffee shop. The log with the espresso looks good, but the coarser grind has developed these funky looking spots around the little pieces of the grounds. It is only on the sides of the log that were exposed to air. The side sitting on the towel does not have it. I did spray the top with rubbing alcohol since I did not gel. There are more of these spots on the top than the sides, so I do not think it is soda ash. It does not appear to be mold. But it sure is ugly!

Sorry the photo isn't very good. But you can see the spots. Any ideas what is going on? I'll probably have to trim it off. :(

soap.jpg

Did you add dry grounds to the soap? I have not made coffee soap yet though, so I'm not sure. The recipes I've looked at brew the coffee grounds first.

It kind of looks like stone, if you could get that look through the bar that would be really neat.

Last edited:
I've made one batch with brewed coffee and grounds but I didn't get that same effect. I did have a bit of a ring around the grounds but they faded out with cure. However, I also added cocoa powder to make it darker. I'm thinking it may be because of the water seeping out of the grounds during the process making it lighter. Not for sure though.

That happened to me once. I used wet grounds. I thought it was just the moisture from the grounds kind of making the soap batter wetter around each of the tiny grounds. I didn't particularly like the look and it never completely faded with the cure. Now I only use dry grounds and no longer experience the halo around the grounds. That may or may not be the case with your soap though.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

That happened to me once. I used wet grounds. I thought it was just the moisture from the grounds kind of making the soap batter wetter around each of the tiny grounds. I didn't particularly like the look and it never completely faded with the cure. Now I only use dry grounds and no longer experience the halo around the grounds. That may or may not be the case with your soap though.

I've made one batch with brewed coffee and grounds but I didn't get that same effect. I did have a bit of a ring around the grounds but they faded out with cure. However, I also added cocoa powder to make it darker. I'm thinking it may be because of the water seeping out of the grounds during the process making it lighter. Not for sure though.

Thanks for the info! I'm excited to make my first coffee bar, this information might sway what I do for my first attempt.

I took a bit down to show Mandy (coffee shop owner.) She says that particular kind of coffee bean is very oily. So it may be the lye pulling the oil out of the bean and saponifying. So far that makes the most sense. I had thought about the water idea (thanks s hunt, Lana) but it seems that at this stage (2 weeks old) those spots would still be softer, and they are not. Anyway, she is happy with it as it is, so I'll be happy with it, too. ;)

Back