Whipped sugar soap scrub ingredients??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K a y

Reaction score
Hi there

This form is entirely new to me.

I found this site while browsing on duck duck for chat room to talk with other like minded folk to share ideas and learn things etc
I am looking to make my own whipped sugar soap scrubs. I picked up a pre-made base just to get my feet wet and be able to get down my very own technique. Then afterward when I'm comfortable enough I'd love to be able to start making my own recipe from scratch.
I have a few questions for anyone who would like to chime on in..
Which oils are recommended that will fit best into the whipped sugar soaps?

I would like to keep the soap on the bubbly side. My main goal is to have a sugar scrub that has foaming capability while nicely cleaning you skin, Exfoliation for the dead skin cells and of course be able to moisturize your skin but not crazy heavily to where you feel tacky or goopy afterwards. So like a three in one.
I've been researching the art of soap making I'd like to have some book knowledge under my belt before I jump on in.
I'm looking into safe oils late at night when I have some time but it's a slow process as there is LOTS to learn*
I've been gathering the materials up to make the whipped sugar soap scrub.
I have the base, the stick blender, some bowls, sugar and now I'm looking to purchase the best skin safe oils&
There are TONS of different oils out there.
To save you from a ba-jillion questions
is there any tips that I should know of or hows about "big no nos" to stay away from?
Overall I'm super excited for when I am to start making this. I'd like to kick ideas back and forth and pick others brains haha..

Forgive me I'm like a dinosaur when it comes to this techno device on the computer so you'll have to please bear with me.
I appreciate all help and insight!!
Thanks so much🤗🧡

Kay

Hello and welcome! In order to help you, we need to know which “base” you purchased. Some people are referring to a melt & pour soap base when they use that term, whereas others are referring to a premixed base of oils, butters, and foaming synthetic detergents (syndets). Those are two wildly different products, with very different methods and ingredients required for creating a whipped sugar soap scrub.

If you can share a picture of the package and ingredients, that would be great. Otherwise, we need the brand name, product name, and if possible, the ingredient list. Thanks! 😀

Try this blog for good info. https://www.humblebeeandme.com/?s=whipped+sugar+scrub

If you are using M&P base, here is a recipe I like. It is not whipped though.

M & P Base--12.1 oz
Sweet Almond Oil---1.9 oz
Turbinado Sugar--10.60 (I use Epsom Salts)
2 tsp FO
Coloring of your choice

Melt M&P base. Add sweet almond oil, color and fragrance. Mix well. Add Turbinado sugar or (Epsom salts), and mix thoroughly. Scoop into sterile containers and tap on table to take out air

I'll just add a small diversion into comedogenic oils.
(Once you include free oils in any skin product, this can be a useful reference)
https://www.holistichealthherbalist.com/complete-list-of-comedogenic-oils/
And for essential oils, Tisserand is excellent
https://tisserandinstitute.org/safety/irritation-allergic-reactions/
Other than that, common allergies include some of the nut oils (this becomes important once you start sharing your makings)
For an in-depth read (save for later if you get overwhelmed!), this has some good discussions and studies on the use of oils on skin:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fphar.2022.868461/full

Hi everyone!
I hope I'm posting this in yhe correct area =)
Thank you all for responding
I very much appreciate all of the help& fantastic ideas you're sharing with me**
I'm assuming m&p means melt and pour.. I was told from an experienced soap maker that you could NOT use melt and pour bases to make a foaming whipped sugar soap scrub! Then she told me that she DOESN'T make foam whip sugar soap scrubs..
Interesting...

If you CAN use a melt and pour base then that is something I'd definitely love to look in to in the future.

I picked up a couple of things and a base..
I am doing research late at night when I have the time and see there is TONS to learn! I'm so happy I found a chat room on this page here where I can kick my thoughts back and forth with other soapers..
You guys have a wealth of knowledge & experience that you won't find online or in a book!! I'm beyond grateful for that.

As for my formula

I am using the Stephenson crystal opc bath base.
Here are the listed ingredients off of the site, I took a screen shot of the webpage.. let me see if I can figure out how to glue it here.
P.s. I'm a dinosaur with this techno internet stuff so you'll have to bear with me a hair.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230301_105120_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230301_105120_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 0
Ok, so you have a premade base to which you can add sugar (or salt), a bit of fragrance, and a bit of oil.

There is a recipe offered on the LoneStar site here, but there is a lot more specific information about how to use this base on the New Directions website here.

Pay close attention to the limits of how much oil, fragrance, and sugar can be added to this base. Within those limits, you are free to experiment with different oils, fragrances, exfoliants, and colors. Have fun, and show us some pictures of what you make! :)

Ok, so you have a premade base to which you can add sugar (or salt), a bit of fragrance, and a bit of oil.

There is a recipe offered on the LoneStar site here, but there is a lot more specific information about how to use this base on the New Directions website here.

Pay close attention to the limits of how much oil, fragrance, and sugar can be added to this base. Within those limits, you are free to experiment with different oils, fragrances, exfoliants, and colors. Have fun, and show us some pictures of what you make! :)
Fantastic
Very good links

I read somewhere that I should start with a cold base? I'm not certain of what that means...
I also seen somewhere something like the heat coming off the stick blender could potentially throw off the mix

Are you supposed to leave the base in the refrigerator until its chilled then take it out cut it into small chunks and begin the whip process?
Or do they mean to store it in an area that isn't above 80° degrees?

I have a bunch of questions however I don't
want to overload you haha

Here's another thought that just popped up..

how long would you say the average whip time is?
Or it's more like that would vary depending on what the person making it desires

I understand you don't want to whip too much because that could make it collapse in on itself

Please don't quote me as I am learning the ropes 😻😸😉
I appreciate your time in responding and helping

Latest posts

Back