Whipped Sugar Scrub thickening agent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

chrysta

Reaction score
Hello! Im trying to figure out how to thicken a whipped sugar scrub. I make my own bath butter base, whip it up and add 10% light oil, 5% FO and 150% sugar. Its still a bit loose and I was hoping for a thicker consistency. Ive done some research on this and I see some recipes with added M&P base, stearic acid or glycerin. Anyone have any guidance or thoughts on this? Thank you!!

Quanta

Reaction score
Without knowing what's already in it, I can't suggest anything, sorry.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
12% Cetearyl alcohol can be used as a thickening agent along with 5% Polawax as an emulsifier.

A

amd

I make my own bath butter base, whip it up and add 10% light oil, 5% FO and 150% sugar.
5% sounds high for FO, sorry, I know that's a bit off topic, but I noticed it. Edited: If you are calculating 5% FO without the sugar amount, then it's ok, mine below is 4% without the sugar amount.

I don't have my recipe using bath butter base handy - oh wait... maybe it's on my phone...
Yep, I do have it! My recipe includes the sugar as a percentage of the mix, but it's x2 the amount of only the bath base. I've added the % without the sugar included in ( )
Base 30% (76%)
sugar 60% (152%)
glycerin 5% (13%)
oil 3% (8%)
Fragrance 2% (4%)

This is very loose the day I whip it, but the following day will be stiff. If yours is still loose the next day, I would tweak the amount of oil and try using some glycerin. ETA: I think the glycerin helps stabilize the bath base when you whip it.

chrysta

Reaction score
this was so helpful!! thank you soooo much! I'll try adding some glycerin to it. That may help! and adjusting my percentages as well.

I forgot to add that I also add in 1% preservative. The base already has it in but I add a bit more to account for the additional oils. Unsure if this is needed?

Also, thank you for the suggestion for the Cetearyl alcohol and Polawax! I was thinking about playing around with that. Appreciate all the advice

Complexions

Reaction score
You can melt some M&P, and drizzle it in while mixing to whip up the base before adding sugar. It helps give a whipped sugar scrub a bit more body/firmness that you are looking for. You can also go up to 200% sugar to help make it thicker.

Latest posts