Whipped soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly G Lewis

Reaction score
Hello,

I made Web so using the following recipe:

Lard 2.11lb
Coconut oil. 48lb
Lye .37lb
D. Water 1.00lb

I used a stand mixer to mix my Lye water and oils But it never got fluffy can you please advise what I did wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201027-004914_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-004914_Chrome.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 38
I am not quite sure of the question, either.

If you were making cold process soap, the batter should be a smooth liquid, not fluffy. It will usually harden up within 12-48 hours after you pour it into the mold.

If you are doing hot process soap, I wouldn't describe that as fluffy, but more like creamy mashed potatoes.

Either way, stand mixers aren't typically used for soap making because they introduce a lot of air into the batter, which leaves air holes in the soap. Also, they can splash the batter everywhere, which creates a burn hazard from the active lye. The only time I've used a stand mixer is to whip a rebatched soap that has already saponified.

If none of that answers your question, please give us some more details about the type of soap you are trying to make (HP or CP), and what it looked like when you poured it in the mold. We'd like to help. :)

Have you made soap before - enough to be fairly confident? If not - then make a couple more batches of soap before trying the whipped soap.

Whipped soap is done by whipping your oils into almost a whipped cream - before adding the lye solution. Here is a video that might help you:

[ame]

Have you made soap before - enough to be fairly confident? If not - then make a couple more batches of soap before trying the whipped soap.

Whipped soap is done by whipping your oils into almost a whipped cream - before adding the lye solution. Here is a video that might help you:

[ame]

Just when I thought I’d seen it all...seems that this type of soap would not be very long lasting...and very messy to make! I wonder who on the forum has tried this. Would be curious to hear about it.

I don't think this was a rebatch. The original post says that she whipped her lye water into her oils.

Whipping lye water -- or even mixed, unsaponified batter -- is very, very dangerous due to the spattering risk.

My guess is that she watched a rebatch video and thought she could do the same with unsaponified batter. Again, very dangerous.

Hello,

I made Web so using the following recipe:

Lard 2.11lb
Coconut oil. 48lb
Lye .37lb
D. Water 1.00lb

I used a stand mixer to mix my Lye water and oils But it never got fluffy can you please advise what I did wrong?
The thing that really surprises me - did you actually make this HUGE batch of soap and not know exactly what you are doing?
Why not start a little smaller - like with 1 pound and see how it works, before making a 50 pound batch of soap.

I don't think this was a rebatch. The original post says that she whipped her lye water into her oils.

Whipping lye water -- or even mixed, unsaponified batter -- is very, very dangerous due to the spattering risk.

My guess is that she watched a rebatch video and thought she could do the same with unsaponified batter. Again, very dangerous.
Only one thing to say - YIKES!

The thing that really surprises me - did you actually make this HUGE batch of soap and not know exactly what you are doing?
Why not start a little smaller - like with 1 pound and see how it works, before making a 50 pound batch of soap.
@linne1gi I thought the same thing at first. Then I realized that her decimal point was misplaced in the CO line - it looks like an accidental space in front of it. So I'm pretty sure she used .48 lb and not 48 lb. Sure hope so! 😄

@linne1gi I thought the same thing at first. Then I realized that her decimal point was misplaced in the CO line - it looks like an accidental space in front of it. So I'm pretty sure she used .48 lb and not 48 lb. Sure hope so! 😄
Well that's much better, 50 pounds of soap being beaten around is a recipe for disaster.

Yes but I have a cover That came with my stand mixer and I use that when I am making Whipped so because of the lye.

Back