Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not writing from a place of extensive experience, but I have made my recipe a few times and been happy with the result.
I use 1 teaspoon in 1000g of soap. I tried to use more, but the extra salt and the sodium hydroxide cant be held in solution in my water volume.
I tried increasing the water volume to allow for 2 teaspoons of salt but wasnt happy with the soap consistency.
So I am back to 1 teaspoon, and it does certainly help with hardening up the soap to unmould.

my basic 1000g formula has
olive oil
tallow
coconut
castor oil.
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 level teaspoons honey
and 3.65g sodium lactate
:)

Thank you for your help. I'll add it to my notes!

My question is, could I do an oven process even though it's been 3 days since I made the soap?

Turn the oven to 170F (or whatever the equivalent) then turn it off. Put your soap on a cookie sheet then in the oven and let it cool down. It should be firm in about 12 hours possibly less if you’re in a warmer climate than me (which you probably are). Keep an eye on it the first few hours to make sure you don’t accidentally volcano or overheat. It also may take a few batches to figure out exactly but the basic idea is the same.

DeeAnna’s advice for sodium lactate: https://classicbells.com/soap/lactate.html

If you use a cookie sheet, I recommend putting the soap on parchment paper or something else that's not metal and sufficiently heat proof -- you don't want the soap directly on metal.

And you don't need both salt and sodium lactate. One or the other should be adequate. I generally use sodium lactate but use salt when I don't have SL around, I would put the soap back in the mold before placing it in the oven. But if not do as DeeAnna said put it on some parchment or something to protect the soap from touching the metal.

And you don't need both salt and sodium lactate. One or the other should be adequate. I generally use sodium lactate but use salt when I don't have SL around, I would put the soap back in the mold before placing it in the oven. But if not do as DeeAnna said put it on some parchment or something to protect the soap from touching the metal.
I didn't put it in the oven (We have to use propane and were almost out until payday :( ) but it's hardening up quite a bit regardless.
I made my recipe with cold process in mind but it's doing well even though I used the hand beater! I'm SO surprised AND pleased. It's been just over a week and a tiny piece that broke off is making THE best suds.
I'm enclosing a pic. There aren't many but suds because it took my friend a few minutes to get the camera on my phone working, but still, you can see how well that tiny bit works! And I don't feel overly dry. So proud of myself. Teehee.
Also, I used an old, bright, aluminum loaf pan lined with wax paper, fwiw.
IMG_20180410_130307.jpg

Also, I used an old, bright, aluminum loaf pan lined with wax paper, fwiw.View attachment 29782

Congrats on your soap working out. I just want to point out that aluminum will react with lye and create some nasty fumes. Other metals can cause DOS. Stainless steel is the only metal that I know of that won’t react with lye.

I’d suggest looking into silicone molds, but those are my favorite. Wooden molds are are the tried and true standard while other materials are discussed in various threads on the forum (can’t remember them all, I think corrugated plastic is one?) Wood and silicone are the most common materials, you can even make your own

Congrats on your soap working out. I just want to point out that aluminum will react with lye and create some nasty fumes. Other metals can cause DOS. Stainless steel is the only metal that I know of that won’t react with lye.

I’d suggest looking into silicone molds, but those are my favorite. Wooden molds are are the tried and true standard while other materials are discussed in various threads on the forum (can’t remember them all, I think corrugated plastic is one?) Wood and silicone are the most common materials, you can even make your own
Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I didn't mean I only used the loaf pan. I lined it with plastic first.
I've ordered a soap mold from my son. He has a new engraver/cutter that can make "tongue and groove" pieces. Can't wait!!

I'm actually not trying to make whipped or creamed soap, I just don't have a stick blender. No one in this country would know what it is, most likely. I've never even seen one in the 2-3 second hand stores I've found.
So I've tried doing the blending with a regular hand blender and haven't quite figured out ifmy soaps have really come to a VERY light trace or not.
So far, so good though. I've spent about 15 minutes blending and I've gotten soap!
Thank y'all for the help!

What country are you in? Perhaps an immersion blender (which we call a stick blender, but in the restaurant, it was called an immersion blender) might be available in a store that sells to chefs, restaurants or specializes in kitchen appliances.

Arlene, I'm in El Salvador. Thanks for the idea but I'm I the boonies and getting to a place that sells to restaurants isn't possible. Here, everything is done the hard way: the only blenders I've found are the countertop ones. Even a stand mixer, like a Kitchen-Aid has to be imported.
Guess I'll stick to my hand mixer.

What country are you in? Perhaps an immersion blender (which we call a stick blender, but in the restaurant, it was called an immersion blender) might be available in a store that sells to chefs, restaurants or specializes in kitchen appliances.

Some people use an electric drill with a paint mixer attachment. I don't know if that is a possibility for you, but it is another alternative.

Before all these electronic gadgets existed, folks did it all by hand, so none of these mixers are essential. They just make it easier and speed up the process for us. If that's all I had, I would use it, too.

Back