Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meltiongson

Reaction score
I want to try whipped soap. Will this recipe work?

Olive oil - 400g
Coconut oil - 200g
Shea butter - 300g
Cocoa butter - 100g

Water as percent of oil weight - 38%
Super fat - 5%

Lye - 132.90g
Water - 342g

Just give me your suggestions and comment if this recipe will work and if not can u help me adjust this recipe. Those oils and butter is the only ingredients i have. Thanks :grin:

The recipe should work fine, you might up the coconut in place of some of the Olive.

Whoops - edited reply for whipped soap.

Last edited:
Uhm how about this;

10% cocoa butter
20% olive oil
30% coconut oil
40% shea butter

I try to run it in a soap calc and the soap calc find it to be too cleansing (i have a dry skin) and less conditioning.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

I prefer the first recipe because it's more conditioning. But it may not whip as well as the second one because of the higher olive content. The second one I'd also find too drying for my skin but you could use a higher superfat.

This is just my opinion but I'd give the first one a try. It still will be a nice soap even if it doesn't stay whipped. However, I'd say go with the second one if you really want to make sure your soap will stay whipped.

This probably didn't help you at all.

eta: I think I'd use a slightly higher superfat for the first recipe, too. You might find this discussion about whipped soap helpful. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=19180

Oops...
I want to make a frosting with melt an pour never made cp.. Can anyone help me..
Thanking all of you in advance!!
Kathy

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I prefer the first recipe because it's more conditioning. But it may not whip as well as the second one because of the higher olive content. The second one I'd also find too drying for my skin but you could use a higher superfat.

This is just my opinion but I'd give the first one a try. It still will be a nice soap even if it doesn't stay whipped. However, I'd say go with the second one if you really want to make sure your soap will stay whipped.

This probably didn't help you at all.

eta: I think I'd use a slightly higher superfat for the first recipe, too. You might find this discussion about whipped soap helpful. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=19180

Thanks Hazel.. I like my first recipe too but i find shea butter is a little expensive here. So i decided to change my recipe (again). So here it is;
20 % cocoa butter
30% coconut oil
30 % olive oil
20% palm oil

Or maybe this one ;
10% cocoa butter
30% coconut oil
40% olive oil
20% palm oil

Can you help me which one is the best. Thanks

I'm not sure which would be best since I'm not sure about the second one because of the 40% olive. I don't know how well it would whip. It might turn out wonderful but you'd have to make it to find out. Another concern I have is the 30% coconut. Some people might find that percentage drying but other people would like it.

The only thing I can say is if I was using these oils, I'd either try

15% cocoa butter
25% coconut oil
35% olive oil
25% palm oil

or

10% cocoa butter
25% coconut oil
35% olive oil
30% palm oil

I formulated a recipe which is a little more conditioning, it whipped up very well and had good lather. You might give it a try if you're not set on using cocoa butter and you have castor oil.

64% palm oil
14% coconut oil
13% olive oil
9% castor oil

I know these are odd percentages but I rounded them off to make it easier. My actual recipe was

14 oz (397 grams) palm oil
3 oz (85 grams) coconut oil
3 oz (85 grams) olive oil
2 oz (57 grams) castor oil

I'm not sure which would be best since I'm not sure about the second one because of the 40% olive. I don't know how well it would whip. It might turn out wonderful but you'd have to make it to find out. Another concern I have is the 30% coconut. Some people might find that percentage drying but other people would like it.

The only thing I can say is if I was using these oils, I'd either try

15% cocoa butter
25% coconut oil
35% olive oil
25% palm oil

or

10% cocoa butter
25% coconut oil
35% olive oil
30% palm oil

I formulated a recipe which is a little more conditioning, it whipped up very well and had good lather. You might give it a try if you're not set on using cocoa butter and you have castor oil.

64% palm oil
14% coconut oil
13% olive oil
9% castor oil

I know these are odd percentages but I rounded them off to make it easier. My actual recipe was

14 oz (397 grams) palm oil
3 oz (85 grams) coconut oil
3 oz (85 grams) olive oil
2 oz (57 grams) castor oil

Wow. Thanks Hazel. I didnt know 30% of coconut oil in the recipe might be drying (i feel so dumb ) since im new to soaping. Hehe thanks for the recipe too. I might try your recipe with castor oil as soon as i find some in our grocery.

Please don't feel that way. We were all new, too and had to learn. I was the same way when I started to make soap. I went by other people's recommendations and didn't understand why my soap didn't leave my skin feeling soft and conditioned like other people's. It took me awhile to realize it was the coconut. Also, you may not find it drying. I know there are several members who use 30%. Also, increasing the superfat offsets the dryness.

Uhm how about this;

10% cocoa butter
20% olive oil
30% coconut oil
40% shea butter

I try to run it in a soap calc and the soap calc find it to be too cleansing (i have a dry skin) and less conditioning.

How does this lather into a soap?

My question isn't about whipped soap specifically, but I just can't find a stick blender where I'm living. Not used OR new!! Do I had to just try my hand mixer and prayed it didn't make too many bubbles.
I now realize it would've been slow to trace because of the high olive oil content, but I did get it to VERY light trace. At least I think it was.

Here's the recipe and the percentages, if anyone can figure out why it's not getting harder after 72 hours in the mold.

In ounces:
Olive Oil: 14.4
CO (76°): 7.25
Canola (infused with mandarin peel): 1.2
Sunflower (high oleic): 1.2

Water: 8.2 Lye: 3.4
SoapCalc suggested 8.16 but BB suggested 8.2. I erred on the side of caution and used BB's.

Percentages:

OO: 60
CO: 30
Sunflower and canola: 5 each
Water ratio: 34%
Superfat: 5

No fragrance because I forgot and the scent from the infused oil didn't survive saponification.

Note: Admins: if I need to add a new thread, let me know. I just thought this was a related post!!

Olive oil is sometimes slow to harden. It takes 3-7 days for most of my ungelled soaps to harden enough to cut, even without a ton of olive oil. For me, that’s just what happens in my neck of the woods it may be the same for you. To counteract the wait I tend to CPOP, which is putting the soap in a gently warmed oven after pouring and it’s hard enough to cut I out 12 hours

To counteract the wait I tend to CPOP, which is putting the soap in a gently warmed oven after pouring and it’s hard enough to cut I out 12 hours

I appreciate the responses!!

I didn't set out to make whipped soap, though, just using the hand blender in place of the stick blender. From reading the post on the Whipped Soap Bar Challenge, it's a whole other process.

My question is, could I do an oven process even though it's been 3 days since I made the soap? I would hate to completely ruin this batch, any batch really, because of the expense. I make soap only because my skin doesn't tolerate ANY commercial soap or "detergent".

The other thing is, I can't even use a crock pot anymore because the only one I own has developed a hairline crack and I'm afraid of using it and having it just completely break. And I've not found a 2nd one at any of the thrift shops in this town and the next biggest one. I'm living in a developing country where ppl don't use these things!

I'm grateful for all the help!

my 75% olive oil soap is quite soft to start with too.
I use Lactate and Salt and leave it in the mould a little longer. it unmoulds like cold butter but once airing it dries and hardens up quite quickly.

my 75% olive oil soap is quite soft to start with too.
I use Lactate and Salt and leave it in the mould a little longer. it unmoulds like cold butter but once airing it dries and hardens up quite quickly.

Ugh! Too late for this batch but I will be sure to add both to my next batch. I do tend to use a large-ish amount of Olive Oil to my soap recipes so this is helpful advice!

Can I ask how much salt you use? I've seen anywhere from 1 tsp to 2 Tbsp ppo. But most of the recipes I've seen have other butters to which I've no access. Only Olive Oil, lard, and recently, CO.

Thanks again for your help!

I am not writing from a place of extensive experience, but I have made my recipe a few times and been happy with the result.
I use 1 teaspoon in 1000g of soap. I tried to use more, but the extra salt and the sodium hydroxide cant be held in solution in my water volume.
I tried increasing the water volume to allow for 2 teaspoons of salt but wasnt happy with the soap consistency.
So I am back to 1 teaspoon, and it does certainly help with hardening up the soap to unmould.

my basic 1000g formula has
olive oil
tallow
coconut
castor oil.
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 level teaspoons honey
and 3.65g sodium lactate
:)

Latest posts

Back