Whipped shea

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlaalways1

Reaction score
Hello, Im new here and was wondering how to prevent my whipped shea butter from smelling like shea ? I added fragrance oils and it did not work...

Since you're using an unrefined shea, you would need to stick to earthy, spicy green scents to help deal with that. Adding some cocoa butter to it might help sweeten the whip a little but but I could be wrong and it has been years since I made a whip.

Ok

You guys are so helpful ! I used opithen as a perservative and it separates my product 😔 Are there other preservatives or non Parabens preservative that I can use to prevent this from happening?

You guys are so helpful ! I used opithen as a perservative and it separates my product 😔 Are there other preservatives or non Parabens preservative that I can use to prevent this from happening?
You would use Optiphen (and another preservative to cover what opthiphen does not protect against) when you make a lotion or some other product where water is used. 100% oil-based products to not need a preservative. It's better to use an antioxident in those instead.

What Arimara said. What exactly are you using the optiphen for? Do you have any water-soluable ingredients in your recipe? If not, I'd just add a bit of vitamin E, and call it a day, except if you expect that you would get into the jar with wet hands etc. In that case I usually use liquid germall plus and have never had separation issues with it.

Does Liquid germall plus smell like phenonip? I can smell that through quite a few scents and for lotions, I scented on the heavier side for me.

Does Liquid germall plus smell like phenonip? I can smell that through quite a few scents and for lotions, I scented on the heavier side for me.
I can't detect any smell of it, but have to admit my smell is not that great. I have not tried phenonip so cannot compare to that. I quite like LGP, it's the one I use most of the time. (The only disadvantage is that you can't add it above 100F-ish, so if you melt things you have to wait till they are pretty cool.)

I make and sell whipped Shea body butters and use both refined and unrefined as I have some customers who prefer unrefined. With unrefined Shea, I add Mango butter to my recipe to take down the nuttiness of the Shea butter. I have also used phenonip at a 1% ratio in my butters, as a precaution, and have not had any separation or overpowering smell.

I use half Shea and mix with coconut oil, avocado/sweet almond and a bit of tallow. I don’t smell anything other than the FO used.

Hello,
I came up with a formula for my 60oz whipped shea butter with water but it does not add up to 100%
60% Water
5% Shea Butter
5% Mango Butter
4% Stearic Acid
4% Emulsifying wax
1% geogard persevatives
3% Jojoba oil
3% Fragrance oil
1% Vitamin E
.05 % Rosehip oil...
What am I missing ?

Hello,
I came up with a formula for my 60oz whipped shea butter with water but it does not add up to 100%
60% Water
5% Shea Butter
5% Mango Butter
4% Stearic Acid
4% Emulsifying wax
1% geogard persevatives
3% Jojoba oil
3% Fragrance oil
1% Vitamin E
.05 % Rosehip oil...
What am I missing ?
Add 10% to shea and 4% to mango butter.

Should the shea and mango butter be the same ratio ? I want my product to be thick... will it change the consistency?
That was just to get your recipe to 100%. If you had made it straight, you might was well have added more water and made a lotion. But anytime you change the butter ratios, the final product will be different.

As far as the butters are concerned, it's really going to fall on you to play around with 10g combinations of the two buttersbefore you settle on something. I suggest 10 grams so you can get a rough estimate of what you like.

My body butter wont whip at all... here is my recipe
1590 grams of distilled water
225 grams of unrefined shea butter
190 grams of mango butter
115 grams of emulsifying wax
115 grans of stearic acid
25 grams of German Plus
8oz of sweet almond oil
Where did I go wrong ? Is it not whipping because I didnt let it cool down before whipping?

My body butter wont whip at all... here is my recipe
1590 grams of distilled water
225 grams of unrefined shea butter
190 grams of mango butter
115 grams of emulsifying wax
115 grans of stearic acid
25 grams of German Plus
8oz of sweet almond oil
Where did I go wrong ? Is it not whipping because I didnt let it cool down before whipping?
What was your process and what were the temps of your oils and water?

For the record. I finally found my lotion calculator. You have too many oils and not enough emulsifier at the least, from the looks of it. If this was supposed to be a test run, I hope this isn't a complete wast because that's a huge batch for a test run for a recipe.

Last edited:
I made a smaller batch before and it worked... but when I tried to make a bigger one it did not work... How do I save it ?

What was your process and what were the temps of your oils and water?

For the record. I finally found my lotion calculator. You have too many oils and not enough emulsifier at the least, from the looks of it. If this was supposed to be a test run, I hope this isn't a complete wast because that's a huge batch for a test run for a recipe.

That looks like way too much oil with way too little emulsifier. Are you sure you sized it up correctly?

I've never made more than like 4 oz of lotion/butter at once, although know that people do. You probably want to be careful as to when to add the preservative -- it will take a long time for so much to cool down enough, but if you wait too much it may be too late.

I added the preservative when the temperature was at 100 F. And then I attempted to whip it... Is there anything that I can do ? Add more emulsifiers ? Melt everything down ? Please give me instructions on what to do with details, I do not want to throw this bath away...

I melted the emulsifying wax and stearic acid together and poured it into the boiling how water and it turned white ( the oil and water blended together) the I melted my butter and whipped it. When the temperature hit 100 F I added the preservative. It did not thicken ot whip at all. I left it in the fridge overnight and it did thicken a little but it is still runny... if I didnt add enough emulsifiers then how much should I add. ? Is it too late ? Can I save my batch ?

* I added my melted butters into the water and emulsifying batch together.

Back