Whipped Shea Butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FitMommyOf2

Reaction score
I loooove whipped Shea Butter, but what exactly *is* it, other than Shea Butter being whipped? :lol: There's more to it, right?
I was thinking if I'd buy myself some Shea Butter one day and try it, but obviously I'd need to know first what else I'd need?

Could somebody please tell me and share a recipe?
Thank you! :D

Mine is 75% shea butter & 25% light oils of your choice.

That's it!

Really? That's good to know.
So if I wanted, I'd just use good ol' Canola or baby oil, seriously? :lol:

What's up with the 'whipped' part? Do I just whip it by hand a few times or what do I have to imagine under this describtion?

I used to have a Pink Sugar scented Shea Butter (loooove the scent!) and it was heaven on my skin! Hubby always said I smell like candy when I went to bed :lol:

You could use canola oil, olive, sunflower, soy etc.

I would stay away from the baby (mineral) oil... it's a no-no for most people who make B&B. You could get throw off a lesser soap forum for just mentioning mineral oil-ROFLMAO!

Here is a quote from Indiana Soap works about mineral oil:
Mineral oil is a by-product from the refining process of fossil fuel, such as gasoline. Fossil fuels were formed in the earth, beginning millions of years ago, from decaying plants and animals. The organic chemicals in their bodies are the source of the petroleum products we use today. Products containing mineral oil, petrolatum or petroleum jelly are said to have negative effects on hormones and the skins ability to breathe, attract moisture and detoxify. It can also slow down cell renewal. It is not easily absorbed into the skin, but if absorbed, it is broken down by the liver and when it reaches the intestines, it pulls water and vitamins from the body. Mineral oil can be found in such things as baby oil, most commercial and many handmade creams and lotions, lipsticks, lip balms and even certain foods and vitamin/mineral supplements. Even though mineral oil is natural, the methods used to purify it are not. I am leery about using it on my body or eating foods containing mineral oil. I choose not to use it in my products to be on the safe side. I encourage you to do your own research and come to your own conclusions.

The is how I whip shea:

1) Melt your shea & oil & fragrance in a double boiler or microwave.

2) Pour this mixture in a medium size metal bowl.

3) Place your medium sized metal bowl inside a larger metal bowl.

4) Fill the larger bowl with ice & some water, you have just created an ice bath. You need your mixture to go from hot & melted to cold fairly quickly.

5) Whip it good on high for approx 9 minuted depending on the speed of your mixer.

6) Spoon into jars quickly before the mixture sets too firm.

It is hard to know when it's ready, if you fill your jars & later the whip falls like a souffle, you did not whip long enough, remelt & start over.

If the whip is too firm to spoon into jars, you whipped too long, remelt & start over.

Most people do not use an ice bath, they whip for 3 minutes then put it in the freezer for 3 minutes, then whip for 3 minuted & put it in the freezer for 3 minutes & so on untill it's firm enought to hold a peak.

Thanks, Tab!
Mea culpa for mentioning mineral oil. I'' never do that again! :oops: :lol:

Sounds like a lil tricky thing with the whipped shea, huh? I'll keep it in mind for the time when I can get some SB and try it out. :wink:

Hey tabitha thats how I do it with freezer but when I'm done it spoons into my jars but after a while it turns into butter spread rather than whippy. Does that mean I whipped for too long?? Or not long enough.

Not long enough pepper & *maybe* not enough cold too, Without enough cold it is harder & takes longer to get it thick enough.

Ahhhh ohhhh now I have an excuse to make more! I like my butter spread but I love learning new things so i'm definitely going to try this this weekend. Thanks sweetie

So I decided to try whipping my shea butter again. I decided to take a bowl and put two bags of frozen vegetables with a paper towel on top. I placed the shea butter/apricot kernal oil mix on top of the paper towels and left it there for a min. After one minute it was ready for whipping! I decided to leave it on top and continue whipping and I did it!! I finally made whipped shea butter!! I'm going to try again and see what happens! But now I have a question: If I make foot balms is it possible to whip that instead of leaving it like a butter balm? Here is my recipe

4oz ako
1oz beeswax
1.5oz cocoa butter
2oz shea butter
15 drops of peppermint fo

Can this also be whipped??

Have you made that recipe before pepper? It *looks* to me like it would be too firm/solid. If you have, how firm is it?

It looks very firm to me, if I were to try & make this recipe into a whip, I would eliminate the bee's wax (whose only job is to make the product hard) and increase the AKO from 4-6oz to offset the firmness of the cocoa butter.

Did you heat the Shea butter, Cocoa butter or bees wax any before attempting to whip it? Like Tab, especially RT, those ingredients look hard to smooth out and whip. I put my unrefined Shea and Kpangnan butter in the microwave under medium heat and warm them up a bit before I add my RT soft oils and start whipping in my Kitchen Aide stand mixer with the whip tool. It takes me about 45 to 55 minutes to get it where I want it to be and all smoothed out in feel. I do add a tad bit of Dri-FloAF to it also.

Thanks!

Paul... :wink:

Paul, she would have to melt if first no doubt there. Whipping unmelted bee's wax or even cocoa butter would be like whipping marbels. You would get no where with it.

Even melted I am pretty sure it's going to set up really hard when it cools down.

Your right about that Tab. I have only used bees wax once in a soap recipe, never in B&B products or lip balm, never made it. I do use Cocoa Butter in my soaps sometimes and have to get a hammer to break that stuff up! I have some unrefined CB that smells so good, but boy is it hard! I just whip those 2 African butters when I make whipped butters and SAO and Grape-seed Oil.

Paul.... :wink:

Tabitha said:
Have you made that recipe before pepper? It *looks* to me like it would be too firm/solid. If you have, how firm is it?

It looks very firm to me, if I were to try & make this recipe into a whip, I would eliminate the bee's wax (whose only job is to make the product hard) and increase the AKO from 4-6oz to offset the firmness of the cocoa butter.

I apologize this is a modified version normally it would be
4ounces ako
2ounces beeswax
2ounces cocoa butter
2ounces shea butter

so it would produce a semi hard lotion foot balm its so wonderful even my grandpa loves it! Okay so omit the beeswax I will try that.

ETA: I forgot to say that yes I melt the butters and also I checked on my whipped shea and now its hard whipped! Does that mean I did not whip it enough?? Can I remelt the ones that turned hard and try again?? Here is my lil recipe
2ounces shea butter
1ounce ako
Is that not enough oil in order to keep the shea creamy?
Thanks guys for helping me out btw! This is why I love this group!

2 butter, 1 oil should be fine.
I do 3 butter, 1 oil.

Why is it hard? Did you place it in the freezer? If so, it will soften when it de-frosts.

If I whip too long it gets too hard. If I do not whip long enough it is too soft & falls like a souffle.

Yes, you can melt it back down & whip again as many times as you like.

If you leave the bees wax out of the foot recipe you sould be fine.

If it is too hard, remelt & add a bit of oil.
If it is too soft, remelt & add more cocoa butter.

Back