Whipped Shea body butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Val,

Thanks for the sympathy. It's my fault because I tend to get "bright ideas" :roll: and attempt them without thinking them through. I found a great article that mentioned the e-wax should equal 25% of your oils. :oops: I will try again.

The article was on a blog and it's great. Here's the link if you're interested. Of course, you might have already seen this blog.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/

Aww...I just think everyone else is busy making wonderfully creative and artistic projects. Have you looked at the Photo Gallery? I'm soooo envious. :mrgreen: Beautiful work.

I keep telling myself that I want to try CP soap but I never get up the nerve to attempt it. Also, I read where you have to cover the soap and keep it out of drafts for several weeks. Right now, in this house, that's an impossibility. I've come to the conclusion that if I want the windows covered in plastic, I need to hippity hop down to Home Depot, buy it and do it myself. I'd also be afraid one of the cats or dogs might decide to investigate and try to eat the soap. It could be ugly.

Did you get your sugar scrubs done?

I make Whipped Shea Body Butters (over here in the UK) and I don't use a preservative - I do make it to order and recommend it is used within 6months, but, as there is no water in it there is little possibility of bacteria...

It took me a long time to get the recipe right (and it's my trade secret) but in general I use a ratio of 1:1 Shea and Coconut butter (because coconut butter is fairly soft at room temp...then Jojoba and Coconut Oil added...Probably a 3:1 ratio of butters to oils...

Hard for me to give weights because I am working in Kilos over here so they wouldn't mean much to you :)

I also add Cornstarch (reduces the oiliness) and pearl mica - gives it a lovely sheen....

I soften the shea in a microwave...then add the coconut butter and soften that, then add the oils and then whip with an electric whisk - actually I put it in an enormous KitchenAid and whip it for 10 minutes or so...

Oooops - I just gave away my trade secret recipe :)

Enjoy...

DeliPots said:
Hard for me to give weights because I am working in Kilos over here so they wouldn't mean much to you :)
I'm willing to learn the metric system. :lol:

I mostly work in grams because I find it more accurate. But recently my scales went wonkie and I'm going to have break down and buy a better one.

DeliPots said:
Oooops - I just gave away my trade secret recipe :)

Shhh....it will be our secret. :wink:

You can go back in and edit to remove the info...but not until after I copy it. :twisted:

Thanks for joining in the conversation. It's great to hear from an experienced person. This is what's so wonderful about this forum - sharing tips to help others. Even though I've been making some bath products for awhile, I've just recently started on more advanced formulations and I have a lot to learn.

DeliPots,

I meant to ask you if you've ever substituted arrowroot powder for the cornstarch?

I've been meaning to experiment with it but; as usual, I get sidetracked onto other projects.

Hey Val!

I actually had a project turn out! Yeah! Imagine me doing the happy dance right now. (On second thought, maybe you shouldn't...it would not be a pretty picture.)

I was working on a body cream for friends and family members who have problems with dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis. It turned out very nice. I don't know if it will help any but it looks and feels great. :lol:

Although, I've decided next time to add aloe juice in place of some of the aloe gel because it turned out kind of a spongy thickness. I haven't put any essential oils in it yet. I thought they could try it first and see if they like the cream.

it's very generous of you to share. and it looks like good information!

but just so you know, many of us use the metric system and those who don't can convert... 's not so hard ;)

carebear said:
it's very generous of you to share. and it looks like good information!

but just so you know, many of us use the metric system and those who don't can convert... 's not so hard ;)

lol! Thanks for that - I won't be so shy in posting volumes...although it was as much about the volumes I'm making (like 2 or 3 kilos at a time) as it was conversions :)

No, never tried arrowroot...so can't help as to whether it would work...

Glad you found the tips useful :)

Hi DeliPots,

It was very nice of you to share. I appreciate it. I don't blame you for being hesitant about posting volumes. I'm certainly not working in kilos. :lol:

My batches are approximately around 100 grams to...I'm not sure. Maybe 340-350 grams because then I end up with about 12 ounces. They're very small amounts.

I did attempt a much larger amount which is how I found out that my scale becomes less accurate with heavier weights. In one way, it was a good thing to find this out. But it did make me sick to waste so much.

So, now I'm more careful not to try too much. However, I'm also looking at the different scales, comparing them and telling myself "Someday, yes, someday...you're mine!" :lol:

my batch of whipped shea butter

I just made my first batch of whipped shea butter and I love it. I melted 10 ounces of shea butter in double boiler and in another bowl I mixed 4 ounces of Avocado oil, and 2 ounces of jojoba oil( or you can use 6 ounces any oils combination, soy,sweet almond,grapeseed etc.) and I added 2 teaspoons cornstarch(add more if desired) and .5 ounces of vanilla EO, once the shea butter is melted then combine it to your oils, then sit this bowl in cold water bath with ice cubes and take your hand mixer and just start beating it and rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl often and beat it till it gets icing like consistency add more oil if it's too hard and then just spoon it into jars, quick easy and awesome......it looks like the ready made cake frosting you buy in tubs.....it melts as soon as it touches your skin, goes on like butter very oily but that is normal and a good thing, but your skin absorbs it if you have patience and wait about a minutes or so.....I always say that if it doesn't feel oily when you first apply it then it is not good because your skin has nothing to absorb and penetrate.....and a LITTLE I REPEAT A LITTLE, lol, goes a long way, alot of people over do it and the oily feeling will remain because your skin can only absorb so much, so a little bit is good when it comes to whipped shea butter.....hope this helps :wink:

Hi kylea88,

Thanks for posting your recipe. I made some the other day and I used approximately 3 oz shea and 1 oz fractionated coconut oil. (I used the FCO because it's my oldest oil and I want to use it up. Also, I like the light feel of it.)

My attitude afterwards was "Eh, what's the big deal?" Reading your recipe made me think maybe I should add a touch more oil or use a heavier oil. Uh...perhaps that might make a difference. :wink:

To DeliPots -

I accidently stumbled across your channel on YouTube. Your soaps are gorgeous! I was so impressed; especially with Perfect Love, Blue Hawaiian and the Chocolate Kiss looks good enough to eat! :lol: You're very talented.

I make mine without melting the shea-- just dump it in the Kitchenaid mixer and let the paddle do the work, then add in my other butters and oils. Actually, the only oil I DO melt is the cocoa butter, for obvious reasons.

I've not had my shea or mango go grainy on me since I started doing this, and the butter is wonderfully fluffy.

I'll have to give this a try. I've just been using a little stick blender and it's not very powerful. Plus, I don't want to be standing over it and blending for an extended period of time.

a stick blender won't make a "fluffy" butter but does a great job on dense ones.

Doh! Smack my forehead. That explains why I didn't understand why people were so excited about the "fluffiness" of whipped shea. I tried it twice and thought "this isn't any different than shea body butter."

Thanks for telling me about this. I'll use a KitchenAid next time (right after I...umm..."borrow" it from my sister). :lol:

She really only uses it at Christmas so it will give me approximately 10 months before she realizes it's gone. :twisted:

sure - I'll get her drunk while you disappear for a bit. then you can join us.

You'll need to provide the tequila, tho. I'll bring the mixers.

Nope, that won't work, she doesn't drink. However, if you bring Christian Kane with you that would distract her.

She just made a comment to me that if you bring Christian Kane and Michael Shanks, she would definitely be distracted and wouldn't know where to look.

Oh oh! The caper's off...she's discovered my evil plan :shock:

However, she said if you bring them, she will give you her KitchenAid in exchange for them. I advise you not to do it. Her KitchenAid is older than Christian Kane. :lol:

Latest posts

Back