Whipped Body Butter starter recipe and some questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want to try making whipped body butter. I have been researching for an hour. I know, a whole hour, but I'm just getting frustrated and thought I'd ask here. It seems pretty straight forward, but then confusing at the same time. I thought I had it down (in my head), then went to BB, and you know, they gotta sell stuff. Sot then I'm like ok, do I REALLY need to add all of that??

I just need a good starter recipe (and instructions would be helpful LOL). It is for personal use. I have a few butters...cocoa, shea, mango, and kokum. Oils on hand... I have olive, sweet almond, and avocado. And castor, but I haven't seen any recipes that contain castor.

Recipes I have looked up all do ounces...I soap, so I have gotten accustomed to grams, and ounces converted into grams. I am guessing that the measurements aren't as critical as they are with soap so you can use whole ounces (?)

Minimalist recipe to start me out...plus ummm add some Lavender 40/42 that I have.

And the reason I mention instructions...is because I watched a yt video the other day, and they said put it in the freezer, whip some more, put it back in the freezer, again and again. Which is different than most of the written tutorials that I have looked at tonight. So now I have a whole long process in my head, and I can't even find that tutorial again LOL.

The other thing I wanted to ask (I should probably bullet my questions so we can keep track of my questions LOL). I was using an "organic and all natural" body butter in the past, and I know NOW that there does't have to have a preservative added because we are not adding water. But by the time I got to use half the jar it would smell off and I would throw it away and get another cause I would feel like i smelled "off"). I would think that it should last as long as your butters do right? How long should a jar of whipped body butter last?

But I loved the whipped body butter that I got, and haven't gotten it in a while because of this rancid smell after a while. Just yesterday I threw away half a jar. So I figured that I would just try to make my own.

See if you can find that stuff you used and read the ingredients...probably not all that “organic and natural”, probably has some crap in it.

FYI - I use ounces and haven’t had any problems with my soaps.

A good whipped buddy body butter is basically 1 part soft oils and 3 parts hard oils/butters. A recipe I have used for myself is 2 oz Cocoa Butter, 2oz Shea Butter, 2 oz Coconut Oil, 2 oz Sweet Almond Oil. Combine, melt, mix, freeze for about 45-60 minutes...about the consistency of your ice cream when you get home from the store.

Then you want to whip it...whip it good...until it’s like real whip cream (not Cool Whip) and put it into a couple of small jars. Put one in the frig, the other by where you sit. The Butter on the end table will be good for about three months, but you’ll probably use it before then. The Butter in the frig should be good for about nine months or so.

If you want to use your Lavender, probably want to use deodorized Cocoa Butter or Kokum Butter and add a half dozen drops before you start to whip.

Last edited:
See if you can find that stuff you used and read the ingredients...probably not all that “organic and natural”, probably has some crap in it.

FYI - I use ounces and haven’t had any problems with my soaps.

A good whipped buddy butter is basically 1 part soft oils and 3 parts hard oils/butters. A recipe I have used for myself is 2 oz Cocoa Butter, 2oz Shea Butter, 2 oz Coconut Oil, 2 oz Sweet Almond Oil. Combine, melt, mix, freeze for about 45-60 minutes...about the consistency of your ice cream when you get home from the store.

Then you want to whip it...whip it good...until it’s like real whip cream (not Cool Whip) and put it into a couple of small jars. Put one in the frig, the other by where you sit. The Butter on the end table will be good for about three months, but you’ll probably use it before then. The Butter in the frig should be good for about nine months or so.

If you want to use your Lavender, probably want to use deodorized Cocoa Butter or Kokum Butter and add a half dozen drops before you start to whip.
Thank you for this!!! I am going to do this tomorrow. Your recipe/instructions.

So I got a little nostalgia just now.

Cool Whip...I KNOW THE GUY THAT INVENTED IT. Yes I most certainly do. I have a story for everything LOL. So he was in Harvard to be a doctor (now Radiologist, now probably 80 years old and retired I suppose, hopefully). Last I saw him was about 6 or 7 years ago. I worked with him for 8 years. Cutest old doctor. Super cute.

Anyway, he was in Harvard and had a project to make some sort of food item that wouldn't go bad. I am sure there was a better word for that that he told me about. That's my description.

He invented cool whip. Won first prize for it, and someone came around and offered him $2k for his prize winning recipe/science experiment, with no royalties, etc. He was in school and took the money.

I have looked it up, his name is nowhere to be found with cool whip. All research points to "a scientist".

I'd also use ROE in the fats for this balm -- I'd bet the "off" smell is probably rancidity. You're whipping air into fats -->> great conditions for getting the fat to oxidize -->> fast development of rancidity.

A friend was telling me how she really liked her sugar scrub and brought the jar to work to show me. It was a basic scrub of oils + sugar + fragrance, nothing fancy.

But .... ewwwww .... a little sniff told me the fat was rancid. Really rancid. Coupled with the strong floral fragrance, the smell was unbearable to me, and I don't think I have a very sensitive nose. I don't know how she could stand to use it on her FACE let alone any other body part. Ewww.

After I found my composure, I casually mentioned it smelled "a little off, so maybe it's getting rancid" and left it at that.

I've made body butter a few times. Most say to freeze but I don't have room in my freezer so I just refrigerate - it takes longer but the outcome is the same. My problem with this product is that it's too hard once it sets up. I want something that stays soft and fluffy like it is when you put it in the jar. I've had one sitting on my bathroom counter for almost a year and no 'off' smell at all so that's not an issue. I made a pretty big batch so won't try experiementing with different oils and butters until this one is amost done. I bought some avocado butter I want to try and hopefully it will give a softer consistency.

Can someone help me in creating a recipe using kokum butter, Mango butter, Jojoba oil, coconut oil, vitamin E, and Fragance oil. I'm having a bit of trouble finding a recipe and coming up with a ratio (in OZ for an 8oz jar) where the butter doesn't harden after a day or turning into liquid. Btw, I'm very new to body butters, so this will be my first time making my own. Is there anything I need to add like an extra oil? Do I need to remove one of my butters and use Shea butter instead?

Last edited:
Can someone help me in creating a recipe using kokum butter, Mango butter, Jojoba oil, coconut oil, vitamin E, and Fragance oil. I'm having a bit of trouble finding a recipe and coming up with a ratio (in OZ for an 8oz jar) where the butter doesn't harden after a day or turning into liquid. Btw, I'm very new to body butters, so this will be my first time making my own. Is there anything I need to add like an extra oil? Do I need to remove one of my butters and use Shea butter instead?

Yes...1 part Soft Oils and 3 parts Hard Oils/Butter. Coconut Oil is a Hard Oil, so you want to a Soft Oil like Sweet Almond Oil or Fractionated Coconut Oil.

What I would do is start small...maybe 2 oz. Melt, cool in the frig...then give it good whisk to fluff it up at bit and test it. Don’t worry about scent...get something that feels good to start with. When you find something you like...then add some scent. Start light on the scent...you add more, but you can’t subtract. Use a measured pipette to measure you scent. Make sure you make notes so when you get a combination of ingredients and scent that you like, you’ll be able to upscale it.

So just to clarify, I should use kokum, Mango, and coconut for my 3 hard butters? And instead of Jojoba use sweet almond?

Last edited:
So just to clarify, I should use kokum, Mango, and coconut for my 3 hard butters? And instead of Jojoba use sweet almond?

There is no 'should'...I use Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter and Coconut Oil, and Sweet Almond Oil myself, but you are free to use what you want. If you like those butters...use them. If want to use something else...try that too. I only recommended using Sweet Almond Oil, because it's an oil I like, but you can use any Soft Oil. The thing with Jojoba Oil is that technically it is less an 'oil' more a 'wax'. But you can always try it...do a test batch. I just think that using it would result in a more solid body butter as opposed to something that is lighter and fluffier.

I’ve been making body butters for eighteen years. And, there’s no right or wrong formula! My own favorite
one, I use 60% butters, 39.5% oils, and .5% vitamin E to slow oxidation.
So basically a 60/40 mix. It makes a very soft fluffy butter, but many people like a stiffer butter, and
might use 80/20. (First number being the butter…second number, the oils) Melt together, refrigerate until it’s solid around the edges, about a
one inch solid “ring” around the edge of the bowl, and soft in the center. Then whip until
fluffy, add the vitamin E and whip some more! If it seems squishy, refrigerate a half hour, then whip a little bit more. Should be perfectly soft. Let it sit a few hours, or overnight, before making your final decision about its texture. There’s sometimes a HUGE difference in the texture during this time. If you haven’t used 40% oils, it may be much stiffer than it was when you finished whipping. 40% is just my personal sweetspot for the
texture I like, but this may not be stiff enough in warmer environments. I live in Ohio where it’s cool a majority of the year, and I keep the A/C on in the summer. I know secrets to keeping it whipped in much warmer climates, or for shipping, but I’ve rattled on long enough.

I’ve been making body butters for eighteen years. And, there’s no right or wrong formula! My own favorite
one, I use 60% butters, 39.5% oils, and .5% vitamin E to slow oxidation.
So basically a 60/40
mix. It makes a very
soft fluffy butter, but many people
like a stiffer butter, and
might use 80/20. (First number being the butter…second number, the oils)
Melt together, refrigerate until it’s solid around the edges, about a
one inch solid “ring”
around the edge of the bowl, and soft in the center. Then whip until
fluffy, add the vitamin E and whip some more! If it seems squishy, refrigerate a half hour, then whip a little bit more. Should be perfectly soft. Let it sit a
few hours, or overnight, before making your final decision about its texture. There’s sometimes a HUGE difference in the texture during this time. If you haven’t used 40% oils,
it may be much stiffer than it was
when you finished whipping. 40%
is just my personal sweetspot for the
texture I like, but this may not be stiff enough in warmer environments. I live in Ohio where it’s cool a majority of the year, and I keep the A/C on in the summer.
I know secrets to keeping it whipped in much warmer climates, or for
shipping, but I’ve rattled on long enough.
Do you use arrowroot powder?

I don’t, because I swear I can feel it’s grittiness…but everyone tells me it’s not gritty.🙄 I’ve heard of arrowroot, tapioca, and cornstarch being used. I don’t use coconut oil, because to me, it’s greasy. I like mango butter for it’s dry feel, cupuacu butter for its glide, and a small amount of shea. Also, adding IPM helps with greasiness if you choose greasier butters, and it has no grit. I’ve used it when I first started making butters, before I found my favorite less greasy butters and oils. I love jojoba “oil” (it’s actually a wax, did you know)? Also apricot seed oil is light, less expensive than jojoba, as is grape seed oil.

Thank you @redheels40. I'm new at making this and only ever tried Shea Butter. I tried adding Cocoa Butter one time but it got hard and not fluffy soft, my percentage must be too much. I'll try Mango Butter and IPM next time and experiment more...and the Cupuacu.

My local soap shop gives out free recipes at the door. I made this one with cocoa butter & scented with lime EO two years ago. I still have some around & it’s wonderful. The only reason I have some left is I used unrefined cocoa butter & to me “lime & coconut” was a magical pair. However, in my home it seems that I’m the only one who likes that scent.😂
I see you want Fluffy. This recipe is NOT fluffy soft with cocoa butter used. I like the consistency but after the whip it definitely settles to semi-soft butter consistency.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Cool Whip...I KNOW THE GUY THAT INVENTED IT. Yes I most certainly do. I have a story for everything LOL. So he was in Harvard to be a doctor (now Radiologist, now probably 80 years old and retired I suppose, hopefully). Last I saw him was about 6 or 7 years ago. I worked with him for 8 years. Cutest old doctor. Super cute.

Anyway, he was in Harvard and had a project to make some sort of food item that wouldn't go bad. I am sure there was a better word for that that he told me about. That's my description.

He invented cool whip. Won first prize for it, and someone came around and offered him $2k for his prize winning recipe/science experiment, with no royalties, etc. He was in school and took the money.

I have looked it up, his name is nowhere to be found with cool whip. All research points to "a scientist".
That’s Amazing & why I just love science 🧪 & experimentation!! It’s also kinda sad. If he’d only known. Darn hindsight! I heard a story that the recipe for Fritos was purchased from a street vendor selling them & recipe was purchased for $1k back in the day.

My local soap shop gives out free recipes at the door. I made this one with cocoa butter & scented with lime EO two years ago. I still have some around & it’s wonderful. The only reason I have some left is I used unrefined cocoa butter & to me “lime & coconut” was a magical pair. However, in my home it seems that I’m the only one who likes that scent.😂
I see you want Fluffy. This recipe is NOT fluffy soft with cocoa butter used. I like the consistency but after the whip it definitely settles to semi-soft butter consistency.
View attachment 68300
Thanks for the recipe!! I'll try it!

Latest posts

Back