Which would you choose: slab mold & cutter, or slab with dividers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you have been making soap for a really long time so looking back, which would you choose? A slab mold with a separate log splitter, or a slab mold with dividers? Here's what I'm looking at: this log splitter Multi-position Soap log splitter and soap beveler and this mold (or similar) 4 lb Slab Mold. I'm also looking at this Clear slab soap mold with bottom liner solution 5-7LBS . I'm tempted to go with the splitter simply because it would make cutting on the diagonal a breeze, but I'm thinking how often would I do that so is it really needed. Better to have and not need than to need and not have? Then there is the mold with the dividers, which would mean I wouldn't have to cut and I'd get even sized bars every time, but then I couldn't change bar sizes. With a larger height mold like the Nurture I linked, I could fill the mold then split it into two 1.25" bars, basically a double layer, which I couldn't do with the dividers one. So many thoughts and I can't decide which is more practical. Help me Rhonda! (haha)

Hands down I'd choose a slab mold with a log splitter. A lot splitter can be used to split a slab, but also can be used to remove a less than desirable top on a loaf if need be. You can even use a loaf mold sort of like a slab and split it in half horizontally. I sometimes do that (circling Taiwan swirls or mantra swirls for example).

I will say that Custom Craft Tools makes excellent products - they are worth waiting for. And you will wait. At least a month in my experience. I don't know if any log splitter really works as a beveler - changing the wire position can be kind of a PITA. The CCT Hercules might be worth considering, although it won't do a diagonal cut.

Thank you for your reply. That cinched the deal for me and I got the splitter ordered. I'm not concerned about the beveler part as I already ordered the planer/beveler from Custom Soap Stamps, though I do think I'll try both and see which one I like better as far as beveling goes. Thanks again!

Agree with slab splitter vs dividers. I have both and I don’t use the dividers. Nice to be able to control the size. I would get a more flexible splitter, even if you use the “stepper” on most splitters, the wires kink be they are hard to reposition. I’ve ended up with one splitter at 3.5” and a second at 1/2”. In the future I would buy a flexible splitter.

I am not AS experienced but I'd take the log cutter. I recently had a slab soap disaster and the design I had planned was supposed to be on top of the soap.

But things were going south so bad that I just had to get the batter into the mold.

The top was awful looking, but when I cut the bars crosswise they were so much prettier

Attachments

• 20220314_203727.jpg
    20220314_203727.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 25
Now I'm wondering if I should have gone with the Hercules instead.
If you want to change your order, go to the website and start a chat, or send them an email. They are always super quick to respond. Since everything is pretty much made to order, I'm sure you can change (or cancel) your first order and get the Hercules instead.

Oh, I didn't think about that. Now I'm wondering if I should have gone with the Hercules instead.

@rdc1978 Pretty! Glad you were able to come out with something you liked.

Thanks, the whole thing was a happy accident. I was on the verge of throwing the whole thing away or shredding it for the hypothetical confetti soap I've been planning to make for a year now. LOL

ETA : I also got to use my crinkle cutter. LOL

Back