Which tapioca to use for body butter?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocker

Reaction score
I think they are one in the same looking at the ingredients. I'd get the least expensive one to be honest. I question some f their products. They rename them instead of calling it what it is.

I'll bet the "oil-locking" one is modified tapioca starch and the other is regular. I'm no expert, but *I think* modified absorbs more liquid volume.

ETA: I use Expandex Modified Tapioca Starch from Amazon with good success. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012833N6O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It's a lot less expensive at 5lbs or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
snappy - have you found any other uses for the modified tapioca starch besides body butter? Just wondering if it's worth the price difference . . . I found the regular stuff at my local asian market for a whopping $2/lb!

snappy - have you found any other uses for the modified tapioca starch besides body butter? Just wondering if it's worth the price difference . . . I found the regular stuff at my local asian market for a whopping $2/lb!

I tried it in bath bombs - adding my FO to it so it would 'sorb into it. I didn't notice much difference there.

I haven't really compared it to regular tapioca starch though. I just happened to have it and took to using it. The expandex modified stuff is very smooth, clump-free and silky - almost like a face powder.

I use regular tapioca starch in my body butter. I've never used the modified. I can tell you I consider the regular stuff to be a miracle ingredient. Make my busy butter less greasy feeling, and gives it this amazing silky feel. Great stuff.

Latest posts

Back