Which Soap Calc to use

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanctuary

Reaction score
ok....so I was using soap calc....and out of curiosity I went to Brambleberry and MMS....ran the same recipe Basic oil recipe) through all 3 soap calculaters and each one gave me different amounts to use for lye water ratio. Why is this?....Why did each one have different amounts for the lye water ratio.....5% superfat on all....I am confused about this. Shouldn't all of them give me the same lye to water ratio? Does anyone out there have an answer to this? ....and which soap calc should I be using?
Thanks
Sanctuary

Assuming you entered everything in exactly the same, how much difference was there between the 3? When in doubt, use the least amount suggested.

I believe that the MMS lye calculator gives a range for the amount of liquid that you can use. SoapCalc usually just gives you a set amount of liquid unless you change the lye concentration. They are all good, but I like SoapCalc the best. I usually use the full amount of liquid.

The ratio of lye to water is not that critical (I'm assuming the variance is small). Lye to oils is a different matter entirely. Water can evaporate over time but time will not rescue a soap that is lye heavy.

I thought the OP was getting different Lye amounts with the different calculators? That's what I gathered from the post, which is why I said use the least amount suggested. If SoapCalc said 100 gr of Lye and MMS said 94 gr...I'd go with MMS because the worst that could happen is a higher superfat. I usually don't get big differences with SoapCalc or Brambleberry, and if I do, its a difference in the hundredths of an ounce place...like 4.02 oz as opposed to 4.03 oz.

Latest posts

Back