Which Salt?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseCreek

Reaction score
All this talk of salt bars makes me want to try them out, lol. So which salt do you use to minimize the potential sweat issue? I know fine grain, and not Epsom or dead sea salt. Any of the others work particularly well?

About 6 months ago I decided to do an "around the world" salt bar marathon. I used Pink Himalayan, Hawaiian Alaea, Pacific, and Mediterranean. They all turned out really well and about the same in the quality of the soap. I had a bit of trouble with the first batch of Hawaiian Alaea because the grains were a bit to big and scratchy in the shower. These are now at the utility sink in the garage to clean really grimy hands. Other than the size of the grain, I don't have a preference of type of sea salt. If you're considering cost, look for Tone's Sea Salt at Costco or Sam's Club. Good luck with your salt bars!

You could use any size of grain if you made brine bars and dissolved the salt in the lye water first. Can you tell I'm not a fan of salt bars? Brine bars yes, salt bars.....not so much.

Extra fine, but not all fine salts are equal in size. I personally like the fine sea salt from Target and someone recently posted about the sea salt at the dollar store was really good. I would just say finer the better, or grind it in the blender to be safe. That always works for me.

Can I hijack this thread and ask if anyone has input. Do you add more fragrance to a salt bar recipe? I feel like the salt just sucks up the fragrance. Or maybe it's because I'm fragrancing PPO instead of fragrancing based on % of my entire batch weight and the salt adds so much more volume.

**Not sure that fragranc-ing is even a word.

Last edited:
Extra fine, but not all fine salts are equal in size. I personally like the fine sea salt from Target and someone recently posted about the sea salt at the dollar store was really good. I would just say finer the better, or grind it in the blender to be safe. That always works for me.
I do not recommend grinding salt in a ginder, it can sharpen the edges that can cut like a piece of glass. Maybe you have not experienced it but trust me it can. I find fine Pacific Sea salt the best in salt bars. Yes I do fragrance heavier with salt bars. Usually around 8%

I use fine sea salt in mine @ 25% ppo.

Re: FO: I don't find that I need to add any more FO to mine than I do for normal CP, but then again, the FOs I use for my salt bars are pretty strong stickers to begin with.

IrishLass :)

Can I hijack this thread and ask if anyone has input. Do you add more fragrance to a salt bar recipe? I feel like the salt just sucks up the fragrance. Or maybe it's because I'm fragrancing PPO instead of fragrancing based on % of my entire batch weight and the salt adds so much more volume.

**Not sure that fragranc-ing is even a word.

I use my own blends to scent my salt bars and I do find I have to up the levels a bit on two of them.

And for the record, fragrancing is now a word!! You have created it and now own all copyrights to the word. :p

I too use fine sea salt. Get it from Costco or Walmart. I have also purchased it in bulk when on sale at WSP. I use it at 25-30% PPO and sometimes I do have to increase the fragrance a bit as some are a bit milder in my salt bars. Especially citrusy ones.

I do not recommend grinding salt in a ginder, it can sharpen the edges that can cut like a piece of glass. Maybe you have not experienced it but trust me it can. I find fine Pacific Sea salt the best in salt bars. Yes I do fragrance heavier with salt bars. Usually around 8%

I am glad you said that cmzaha, I know others have mentioned that before about grinding it makes it sharp. When I did it I ground it to powder, there was nothing sharp left, but I agree it's probably not worth the risk. I think the salt I use is the fine Pacific Sea salt too, it's the best! (Edited - salt not soap! Lol!)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies!!! I'll have to raid the dollar store and see what they have, otherwise I have to ship it or wait until we make the trek to walmart again. I love living so far from anything, but it does make you plan ahead and practice patience.

Latest posts

Back