Which oils make the slickest lather?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNG

Reaction score
I really like the feel of super thick, slick lather. I've got the lather bit down and I'm getting good results on the slick bit, but I feel like I can do even better.

I've noted that Olive and Safflower oils along with Avocado Butter tend to add a good amount of slickness to the lather. Please feel free to chime in with your own experiences on this :mrgreen:

Lard. It gives a slick creamy bubbly lather. I combine it with CO, Olive, Shea and castor. Love love love it.

This! It is actually my favorite combination of oils and the lather is what I describe as thick, rich, creamy and lotion-like. For those that like big frothy bubbles, this isn't the best combination of oils. Like shunt, I love it. Just makes the bestest bar ever for my skin.

Actually I find lather from high lard soap to be "dry", which is why I always add at least 10% of some kind of high oleic oil.

Right now I have a bar of soap in my shower from Sunlit Soaps on Etsy. The ingredient list is " olive oil, coconut oil, palm kernal oil, palm oil, castor oil, water, sodium hydroxide, sodium lactate, colorants."

It does not make an abundant lather, but it is by far the silkiest feeling soap I've ever used. It feels like my hand is floating when I twirl the bar in my hands. It's a very gentle soap, just few large bubbles that quickly disappear and very little creamy lather so I suspect the co/pko is 10% or less, and the olive oil very, very high.

But I also wonder if sodium lactate adds to the silkiness - I rarely ever used it.
Anyone have any opinions on that?

Actually I find lather from high lard soap to be "dry", which is why I always add at least 10% of some kind of high oleic oil.

Right now I have a bar of soap in my shower from Sunlit Soaps on Etsy. The ingredient list is " olive oil, coconut oil, palm kernal oil, palm oil, castor oil, water, sodium hydroxide, sodium lactate, colorants."

It does not make an abundant lather, but it is by far the silkiest feeling soap I've ever used. It feels like my hand is floating when I twirl the bar in my hands. It's a very gentle soap, just few large bubbles that quickly disappear and very little creamy lather so I suspect the co/pko is 10% or less, and the olive oil very, very high.

But I also wonder if sodium lactate adds to the silkiness - I rarely ever used it.
Anyone have any opinions on that?

High OO soaps with Castor oil tend to be like this in my experience. There's little to no lather, depending on other oils, but it's super slick.

I'm going to give lard a shot though. It's cheap and easy to come by.

High OO soaps with Castor oil tend to be like this in my experience. There's little to no lather, depending on other oils, but it's super slick.

I'm going to give lard a shot though. It's cheap and easy to come by.

I would not describe high OO soap's lather as slick, slimy maybe, but not slick.

I am going to warn you about lard. Especially high lard soaps. Once you try it, you are never going to want to go back to anything else. I would start at 50% lard and work my way up. Then, once I got the percentage of lard correct, I would then play with the percentages of coconut oil and olive oil until you are happy with it. And, of course, 5% castor oil.

I would not describe high OO soap's lather as slick, slimy maybe, but not slick.

I am going to warn you about lard. Especially high lard soaps. Once you try it, you are never going to want to go back to anything else. I would start at 50% lard and work my way up. Then, once I got the percentage of lard correct, I would then play with the percentages of coconut oil and olive oil until you are happy with it. And, of course, 5% castor oil.

Oh yeah. Lots of lard = happy skin!

That goes for soap and DeeAnna's lard scrub!

The crazy thing about my using high lard soap is that I stopped needing leave on products, except for my hands (too much handwashing). And since I only use it once a day, I am still using up some lotion I bought several years ago, so it will be about another year before I need to make any.

It's just a matter of not going too high and balancing it out with other oils and butters (I like cocoa and shea, myself) to ride the line between slick and snot-like :lol:

Unless, of course you're doing castile bars. Then you're in for a snot-fest.

Welp, I've got a HP batch going now. Using a 50% lard recipe to try it out. Thank you all for the suggestions!

I'll have to try some avocado oil next and compare.

Back