Which oils do you use most often?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Because I live in the middle of nowhere, I have been stocking up on every type of oil I can find because I know I've seen it in atleast one recipe!

I now have a collection of olive oil, canola oil, corn oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, and I have palm oil and coconut oil on order from canwax.com.

I'm thinking that I will probably try a few different variations of soaps with different types of oils.

What oils do you find that you use most often (and I guess, which oils are most common so I don't stock up on too much useless stuff!)

Thanks!

I use olive oil in every recipe, so there's no way I'd ever be without olive. My other absolute 'staples' are PKO, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Castor, Tallow and Lard.

I used to use a lot more oils/fats, but came to the realization that my soaps are just as nice if not better with just the above mentioned oils/fats.

IrishLass

Olive oil, coconut oil and lard. Be careful about expiration dates on your more expensive oils. Some are very short and you do not want to lose them.

Digit

My most commonly used oils: Palm, Lard, vegetable shortening, coconut, castor.....not a fancy collection but makes nice soap nonetheless. I wouldn't want to be without any of these. :)

I must have shea and cocoa butters. I have to have coconut milk. Though I have worked with lots of oils, those and corn, crisco and olive are my main stays.

Back