Which oil to use? Choices of Rice Bran, Canola or Sunflower

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aromasuzie

Reaction score
Hi, here in New Zealand, we're in lockdown like most of the rest of the world. Luckily we are still allowed to go to the supermarket but can't order anything that needs to be delivered, so I'm stuck with the oils I can buy at the supermarket.
Traditionally my soap ingredients are coconut oil, cocoa butter and rice bran oil. Unfortunately I've run out of cocoa butter butter but have shea and mango butter as replacements. Superfat discount is 5%
In the past I have used rice bran oil as my main oil but have considered changing to sunflower or canola oil. Since I'm looking at $, I am presuming they are highly processed. I have never worried too much about the chemical composition (unsaturated, mono or poly), assuming the lye process would render them inactive. Would you agree? I am thinking of making quite a few batches and will buy a 2L bottle. Any preferences on what oil you would use. Family members have no skin conditions and I make my own moisturiser

Hi Suzie - do you not use Olive Oil? I just buy the cheaper ones and can get 1 litre for around $10.50 ( at either New World or Countdown). I typically use 20% OO and 20% RBO in my recipes. the RBO is more for keeping the price down. I think Canola can cause DOS in larger quantities, and if you get sunflower, make sure you get a high oleic one ( suitable for frying) otherwise you could have problems with that too.
Oh - BTW - Zen Designs are still open so you might be able to order from them? She is a home-based business so doesn't;t rely on staff coming in to pack. Not sure If she'll be able to stay open though - so if you want to take advantage of it, I'd get in quick!

You can use any of them as long as they are HO. I'm one who isn't a fan of Olive Oil in large amounts. I like HO Sunflower or Safflower. Cmzaha uses HO Canola I believe. I generally only use 30-35% liquid oils.

Latest posts

Back