Which is better at scent retention... Animal fat or plant based? Or does it not make a difference?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know a lot of it comes down to the quality of the oils, percentages used, FO vs EO as well as the recipe itself...

But does one (lard or plant based) "bind" to the FO/EO better than the other to have a longer lasting scent?

While I can't be 100 percent in answering your question, I can tell you that I have made an all lard soap and it seems to have lost the fragrance I added. I am not sure if it was because it was yuzu or not as it seems any citrus I use besides lime loses it scent.

Hi @JuLeeRenee thanks. I've made batches of both lard and veg and now I'm patiently awaiting to see/smell the outcome. So far, they seem neck and neck but it's only been about a week.

While I can't be 100 percent in answering your question, I can tell you that I have made an all lard soap and it seems to have lost the fragrance I added. I am not sure if it was because it was yuzu or not as it seems any citrus I use besides lime loses it scent.
Which lime do you use?

Back