which hand blender do you recommand?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought a $20 one, went dead after couple months of use. Should I get a pricey one? will they work better and last longer?

I have a plastic "Better Chef" one that I bought at Ollies Discount store for $9.99 .. it works great. Then I bought a model with a SS shaft by the same manufacturer when they were on sale at Aldi's for $14.99. The newer model is so powerful that it seems to whip air bubbles into my batter even when pulsed on the lowest setting.

I got a kitchen aid on sale for about 30$. Works great and has a ss shaft

I also have a Kitchen Aid model with 2 speeds and a SS shaft. I definitely paid more than $30 for it - I think about $45 cdn - but it's been a workhorse and doesn't get overheated like my last one(s) did.

I have a Cuisinart that I picked up from Amazon a couple of years ago. It's a workhorse, and I like the removable head. I think it was around $30 or so. I have an ancient Cuisinart stick blender that I've been cooking for for around 20 years that is entirely stainless steel. It still works fantastically.

More expensive does not necessarily always mean better. I'm still soaping with the same cheapie, 2-speed Hamilton Beach stick blender that I bought 10 or 11 years ago. It was under $20.00 when I bought it. They have a newer model, but I don't like the looks of the bell on the newer model. The bell on the model I have, which is pictured in the link I posted, works great. It does not cause air bubbles in my batter.

I also have 2 other kinds, both with metal shafts, which come in handy when making HP or other hot things. One is a Kitchenaid and the other is a Cuisinart. Of the 2, I like the Cuisinart better. The design of the bell is much better for soaping than my Kitchenaid. I've relegated the Kitchenaid for food-use only.

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a light commercial Waring that I love, but the housing came loose. LOL, have used it for 3 yrs with the housing zip tied to hold it together. It is the one Waring that could not be fixed. They are not cheap and I refuse to give it up since it is a much longer shaft than my Osters. It also does not kick up bubbles as badly. I will eventually purchase another one.

My favorite is the ten dollar one I got at Ocean State Job Lot. I've had two others, and my least favorite was the Cuisinart, because it sucked air into the soap batter and resulted in a lot of bubbles.

How are you using it? I ask because hand blenders are not meant to be used continuously. The small motors heat up quickly and they need time to cool down between bursts of blending/mixing.

I have a stainless Cuisinart I got for 20.00 at Costco several years ago. It' got a removable shaft and it's never given me any issues. I also have a Hamilton Beach one I picked up for 3 dollars at Salvation Army for back-up if needed.

For soaping and lotions, I have Irish Lass' Hamilton Beach and that inexpensive Cuisinart that everyone sells. I use them both -- each has its strengths. The Cuisinart isn't as good for small batches, for example. Both are still going strong and I expect them to last for years now that I don't feel the need to fiercely stick blend each and every batch of soap into cowed submission. I have a fancy-pants Bamix that's good only for food only because the bell is some kind of cast metal -- I'm guessing aluminum or zinc, neither of which play well with lye. If I turned my hobby into a serious business, I'd look into getting a light commercial blender like Carolyn's when my production got high enough to justify the cost.

More expensive does not necessarily always mean better. I'm still soaping with the same cheapie, 2-speed Hamilton Beach stick blender that I bought 10 or 11 years ago. It was under $20.00 when I bought it. They have a newer model, but I don't like the looks of the bell on the newer model. The bell on the model I have, which is pictured in the link I posted, works great. It does not cause air bubbles in my batter.

IrishLass :)

That's what I have! Or had. I broke one of the plastic slots that holds the bell on. I have a backup one speed that I picked up at a thrift store while I wait for HB to replace it. I paid $4 for a 2 year warranty. I burned through my first 3 in the first 6 months of soaping so when I bought the HB I decided a warranty is cheaper than replacing it all the time. That was almost 15 months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back