Which base to choose? Total beginner!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RomanyStar

Reaction score
Looking at 1kg Melt n pour base on ebay. (Stephenson's brand). What is the difference in goats milk and suspension? Then I see opaque, crystal clear, vegetable base...... which is best to choose? Can dye and fragrance be used with any?

You can add fragrance and color to any MP base. I've heard Stephenson's is very good. Suspension base will allow you to suspend thinks like pumice, lavender etc. Clear is just that, shea will be opaque.

I haven't used M&P but I suspect you won't actually notice much difference between the different kinds of soap base, goats milk/Shea is more about label appeal. So choose what appeals to you. If you think a transparent soap would look awesome choose the clear base, if goats milk soap sounds awesome to you choose that base, and so on.

PKO is always liquid here but then Nigeria is plenty hot. I always wonder when Soapers say they use it for hardness. Even at the height of harmattan here, the hardest it got was slushy. It does have a characteristic smell though similar to Shea Butter. But I get mine unrefined straight from the mill so the refining might have made it somewhat harder?o_O

:)
PKO is always liquid here but then Nigeria is plenty hot. I always wonder when Soapers say they use it for hardness. Even at the height of harmattan here, the hardest it got was slushy. It does have a characteristic smell though similar to Shea Butter. But I get mine unrefined straight from the mill so the refining might have made it somewhat harder?o_O

The OP is asking about MP soap base...

You might want to ask the mods to move this thread to the M&P forum to reduce confusion.

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:
Somewhat beginner here as well. I've found the Stephenson's bases to be great! The goat's milk has a slightly strong smell, but that's to be expected. For the sake of getting feet wet and playing with color and fragrance, the Shea has been good for me as well as the clear. You can even play around with swirling the two in the mold together, just watch the temp before you do or it will run together.

Back