Where to start

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Directions has a few recipes on their blog. I've tried some of them and really like them. Here's one about How to Make Creams for Dry Hands.

https://www.newdirectionsaromatics....to-make-diy-creams-lotions-for-dry-hands.html
And here's a link to recipes with Hemp Seed Oil.

https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/blog/products/how-to-use-hemp-oil-for-skin-hair.html
I have a tub of the Heavenly Hemp Hand Cream at my desk and it really is lovely! Thick and rich and feels so nice on my hands.

Also, if you read some of their product profiles (i.e. look up mango butter on their blog), their articles will contain recipes for you to try. I've tried a few and have been quite impressed.

Thank you for posting this. This has great info and looks easier and less intimidating to follow.

Thank you for posting this. This has great info and looks easier and less intimidating to follow.
Once you've made a cream/lotion, you'll have a better idea of what SwiftCrafty Monkey is doing. As much as I appreciate her work, I've been making my own creams and lotions for about 20 years and her site intimidates me.

I've never liked making lotion either! The preservative always scared me! I also have the Anne Watson "Smart Lotionmaking" and found it very helpful! And it has some pretty great recipes. But I also love the DIYbathandbodyshop on Esty. @Misschief recommended them with a shampoo bar recipe. She has a Lotion & cream super concentrate base recipe that I find is so much easier to make lotion with. After making the base concentrate she has recipes for lotions and creams that are awesome. Her recipes and direction are very easy to follow. I've made body lotion and a face cream already and love them! Actually, I've bought six recipes from the shop and have not failed at one yet! Each of her recipes are $9.95 and discounted if you buy 3 or 5 of them at a time I think...
Thanks for mentioning that! I had not see her lotion base recipe, and now I may add that to my collection from her. Being able to have the base made in advance would mean that I would need as big of a block of open time as one would normally need to make lotion. Kinda like masterbatching oils or lye solution. :)

Thanks for mentioning that! I had not see her lotion base recipe, and now I may add that to my collection from her. Being able to have the base made in advance would mean that I would need as big of a block of open time as one would normally need to make lotion. Kinda like masterbatching oils or lye solution. :)
I ALWAYS have a batch of the lotion base on hand. Once you're familiar with percentages, you can make any size batch of cream or lotion you want. I've recently been making 50 gram batches of face cream samples, just to try out different combinations using powdered and liquid extracts. It's almost as addicting as soapmaking!

I love her recipes. I have all of them (haven't made all of them, though).
I've made the meltaway facial cleanser, but after it cooled there were two layers. One hard layer on top and the oils on the bottom. Does that happen to you?

I think I need to stick the filled containers in the fridge after pouring to prevent this from happening.

Last edited:
I used to make lotion years ago, but it's such a pain. And while my product wasn't bad, Aveeno's lotion is perfect. If I could make lotion like that, I'd be all in. Whipped body butter is so much easier to make.

I may start making facial cream again, though. The stuff I used to make is fantastic. And there are so many more ingredients I know about today that I wasn't aware of then.

I've got totally hooked on making creams and lotions lately! (After @KimW so kindly got me started). Generally my skin is pretty tolerant but my face hates most commercial products so I'm having a blast making tiny tiny amounts of things with different consistencies and ingredients to see how I like them.
My current favourite is an illuminating carrot and orange day cream, which gives a matte finish and a hint of a glow.

(It's called apple and orange, but to me the carrot element is more distinctive)
https://www.aroma-zone.com/info/recette-cosmetique/creme-visage-illuminatrice-pomme-orange

I've made the meltaway facial cleanser, but after it cooled there were two layers. One hard layer on top and the oils on the bottom. Does that happen to you?

I think I need to stick the filled containers in the fridge after pouring to prevent this from happening.
Not Misschief but I have made the meltaway facial cleanser and this has never happened to me. I don't refrigerate after pouring. I wonder why yours did this.🤔🤔

Not Misschief but I have made the meltaway facial cleanser and this has never happened to me. I don't refrigerate after pouring. I wonder why yours did this.🤔🤔
Good to know. Do you stir your ingredients together or use any sort of stock blender/min frother? I just have one 4 oz batch as a tester. Going to make another soon once I figure out why these layers separated. My guess is its the BTMS because it's white, hard, and the cleanser is not removing from my face easily. I am sure I stirred everything very well.

Back