Where to rest?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maggiemarieoc

Reaction score
I just finished my very first batch of cold process soap and the directions say to insulate it and let it rest for 24-48 hours before removing it and allowing to cure. What's the best place for it to rest? Cool, dry, cold, room temp?

Room temp is fine, being too cool can slow the saponification process. I keep mine in my craft room so I can close the door and not have to worry about mischievous little paws, but wherever it can sit undisturbed works.

I've got it on top of a cabinet in a back storage area but that may be too chilly. I'm afraid to put it on top of my kitchen cabinet because I cook in such a small area in worried it may get to warm. Which do u think would be worse? Cuz that's what I got to choose from.

From the two, too warm can cause big issues whereas too cold mean it'll just take longer or maybe have a partial gel - I would risk it taking longer rather than overheating.

After a while you can work out how much insulation for each recipe is enough without being too much.

I work with goats milk so I put mine directly in the freezer for 8 hours after pouring, before setting it in my office to cure.

The oven. Preheated or not its a fairly safe place. Put a pan under it in case of a boil over and a sticky note over the start button so you don't accidentally turn the oven on. I have finally trained the teen to look even if there's not a note. (Midnight pizza and the oven smelled suspiciously like wild orchid... Need I say more?)

Latest posts

Back