Where to order tallow from

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Essential Depot has it. I've never bought from there, so I can't speak to quality.

You may also want to try a cash and carry place. Look in the phone book (they don't typically have an Internet presence) under "restaurant supply" and "cash and carry".

Here's a dumb question: Would you use tallow and lard together in a recipe or would it be better to use one or the other? For example I have a recipe that is 30% Lard. Could I split it 15% lard and 15% tallow? Would I see any benefits? I haven't used tallow in any soap at all, so I don't know if there's a difference in the final lard vs. tallow soap.

Here's a dumb question: Would you use tallow and lard together in a recipe or would it be better to use one or the other? For example I have a recipe that is 30% Lard. Could I split it 15% lard and 15% tallow? Would I see any benefits? I haven't used tallow in any soap at all, so I don't know if there's a difference in the final lard vs. tallow soap.

I haven't done it myself but I have seen where others have done it and liked it.

I'm sure someone who has will pipe in.

Tallow is harder than lard and booosts bubbles slightly. Lard is creamier. I like experimenting with 25% tallow 15% lard, which will be different than 40% of tallow or lard alone

I like lard and tallow together. Keep in mind I am one of few that have dos problems with lard. Since I like the feel of lard I am been using less lard with a higher percentage of tallow. I am also going to be doing some experiments with adding in extra BHT to see if it helps.

I've done 20% lard and 20% tallow and it was fine. I didn't do a blind test to compare it to my soap that is 40% lard. I haven't replaced lard entirely with tallow, mainly b/c I usually don't have that much tallow.

"... I felt real smart on the phone asking and being told to "click next 10 items" haha!..."

I knew to look, because you'd explained this, but I STILL had trouble finding the icon to click. The dark blue bubble graphic with dark blue text on a medium blue background -- not very user friendly! My eye just skated right over it ... several times in fact. :think:

Essential Depot has it. I've never bought from there, so I can't speak to quality.

You may also want to try a cash and carry place. Look in the phone book (they don't typically have an Internet presence) under "restaurant supply" and "cash and carry".

I've made two nice soaps with their tallow. I just need to wait for the second batch to fully cure before I can start raving about it. ED's beef tallow has mildly creamy, beefy scent to it though. I like it.

Nothing dumb about a question with a good answer. The only dumb question is the unknown one, where the answer is, oddly enough, 42.

"... I felt real smart on the phone asking and being told to "click next 10 items" haha!..."

I knew to look, because you'd explained this, but I STILL had trouble finding the icon to click. The dark blue bubble graphic with dark blue text on a medium blue background -- not very user friendly! My eye just skated right over it ... several times in fact. :think:

It sure did blend in. I don't think I've ever really noticed it. Glad I'm not the only one!

Not a dumb question at all. I use both all the time in my "veggie con carne" formula. I find that they each add something lovely to my soap that the other one lacks: Tallow is harder, more cleansing, and produces more of the bubbly-type lather, while lard is a tad softer than tallow, less cleansing, and produces more of the creamier-type lather. To me, the union of the two makes for the perfect, hard soaping fat. For what it's worth, I use more lard than tallow in my formula.

IrishLass :)

I've made two nice soaps with their tallow. I just need to wait for the second batch to fully cure before I can start raving about it. ED's beef tallow has mildly creamy, beefy scent to it though. I like it.

Nothing dumb about a question with a good answer. The only dumb question is the unknown one, where the answer is, oddly enough, 42.

Oooh! Thanks for the feedback on ED's tallow. I was thinking of adding it to my cart when I order my next batch of NaOH. (Why is it always 42?!) :)

Thanks all for the feedback. I love SMF.

Back