Where to get renewable / sustainable palm oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilovesoap

Reaction score
I read a post somewhere about renewable palm oil. What suppliers carry renewable palm? I have not come across that at all, and would feel so much better about using renewable palm.

Does it say on the soaperschoice site somewhere that the palm is sustainable? I am not seeing it. I do see the oils listed with pricing, but not a description other than organic. I e-mailed Mr. Lawson, but have not received a response, so does anyone know for sure if their palm oil is from sustainable / renewable sources?

The last time I asked he told me his palm was sustainable & that was for the regular palm oil.

I just buy the regular old palm....I really respect those that look for the sustainable palm and admire them for using it. Mine is a budget consideration, plain and simple.....although, if I can find sustainable oils for a similar price....I will use them :)

Ilovesoap said:
Does it say on the soaperschoice site somewhere that the palm is sustainable? I am not seeing it. I do see the oils listed with pricing, but not a description other than organic. I e-mailed Mr. Lawson, but have not received a response, so does anyone know for sure if their palm oil is from sustainable / renewable sources?

On my recent trip to Whole Foods, I picked up Spectrum Organic Shortening. This shortening is made from organic palm oil. The label on the container said it was from a sustainable farm in Columbia. They cost about $7 for 24 oz.

You can also find them at shoporganic.com

On a side note, you can also bake with it. This oil is better since it is not hydrogenated (like Crisco). Hydrogenated oil is bad for your heart and over all health. Most restaurant/bakeries in California are phasing out the hydroganated oil and using better oils now.

cambree said:
On my recent trip to Whole Foods, I picked up Spectrum Organic Shortening. This shortening is made from organic palm oil. The label on the container said it was from a sustainable farm in Columbia. They cost about $7 for 24 oz.

You can also find them at shoporganic.com

On a side note, you can also bake with it. This oil is better since it is not hydrogenated (like Crisco). Hydrogenated oil is bad for your heart and over all health. Most restaurant/bakeries in California are phasing out the hydroganated oil and using better oils now.

I love Spectrum oils. That's mostly what I cook with. Kinda spendy for me to make soap with, but I'll bet it would be good!

I was looking for sustainable palm oil as well. I know I can get 5 gallon pails from Moutain Rose Herbs but theirs is unrefined (has color and mild aroma).
Is it okay to use unrefined palm oil in soap. What is the reason refined is usually used?
Is it just aesthetics?

Back