Where to find lye in Canada?

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by AshleyR, Aug 29, 2008.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Sep 5, 2010 #21

Muzhik

Muzhik

Muzhik

Re: lye question

When you run your recipe through a lye calculator (read the Sticky thread, "Soap/Lye Calculators; A guide" if you haven't already), it will tell you the amount of lye to use and the amount of water to use. Using an accurate scale, measure the weight of the water (i.e., 32oz of water means the water weighs 32 ounces, not that you've filled it up to the 32oz line.) Put on your goggles and your rubber gloves. Put the lye into a plastic pitcher that you're not going to use for anything else. POUR THE WATER INTO THE LYE! Do not pour the lye into the water.

It's best to mix the lye and the water outside, if possible, or in front of an open window with a fan to blow the fumes outside.

2. Feb 20, 2011 #22

Marianne1

Marianne1

Marianne1

Hi in b.c. here and other than a 50lb container from the farm supply store,I too can only find the 3 kilo container from home hardware for 24.95 in my town. :)

3. Feb 20, 2011 #23

jennikate

jennikate

jennikate

Yikess that should be pour lye into water never water into lye . Water into lye can cause volcano BAD mess to deal with cleaning up caustic spill not to mention dangerous for children and pets if you have them.