Where to find a cheap cutter?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

skayc1

Reaction score
I have a friend allergic to coconut oil, I ordered a new mold just for a Lard recipe with no coconut oil, ordered a new stick blender (matched my first stick blender, & can now interchange attachments) gathered new plastic containers to use that I hadn't used with the coconut soap, made the soap. Now I have to find a way to cut it. I can't use the cheese slicer that I use with my soaps that have coconut oil in them. I'd like to find another marble cheese slicer. don't know where to look for one. I won't have much money to spend till the first of the month. I could use any tips on cheap ways to cut soaps..

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend allergic to coconut oil, I ordered a new mold just for a Lard recipe with no coconut oil, ordered a new stick blender (matched my first stick blender, & can now interchange attachments) gathered new plastic containers to use that I hadn't used with the coconut soap, made the soap. Now I have to find a way to cut it. I can't use the cheese slicer that I use with my soaps that have coconut oil in them. I'd like to find another marble cheese slicer. don't know where to look for one. I won't have much money to spend till the first of the month. I could use any tips on cheap ways to cut soaps..
I would check on Amazon. They seem to have the best prices and delivery is generally pretty quick.

skayc1

Reaction score
I guess I'll have to wait to order till the 1st of September, even with Amazon. I need an Idea for today, I suppose I could cover my current cheese cutter with plastic wrap & change the wire.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Do you have a knife with a thin blade? That would work fine until you can find a new cheese cutter.

Arthur Dent

Reaction score
^^^ agreed. I used my fileting knife when I first started. It worked ok until I came up with something better. I still use it sometimes when I use an odd shaped mold.

not_ally

Reaction score
Skayc, do you think your friend is so allergic that they might still react if you wipe everything down w/91% alcohol? I hesitate to suggest it, b/c maybe they are, but it seems as if doing that carefully might remove most/all traces of CO, enough that it would not trigger a reaction. I just hate to see you spend so much money on a whole separate set of stuff.

I know cheese cutters are tricky b/c there is that bit at the very bottom that the wire goes into that is hard to clean out perfectly, but maybe putting plastic wrap over that part/the base, as you have already considered, and wiping down the wire w/alcohol might be enough.

ETA: Also, if I was going to get another cutter, I wouldn't get another cheese slicer since you already have one of those, I might try one of those stainless miter-box type ones (just make sure the blade/cutter part is tall enough that it cuts through all the way without the handle part coming into contact with the surface of the soap and preventing a clean cut or easy disinfection, I bought them separately and then had to get a separate, taller blade).

That would be easier to wipe down completely with alcohol and give you something else to experiment with to see if you like it ...

Last edited:

skayc1

Reaction score
I was told they were deathly allergic, so I'm not using any equipment that was used to make soap that had coconut oil in it. I bought a new blender, it matched my old one, I got a new mold ($10.00's) made a 'box' to keep it from bowing. used bowls & new spatulas. I did use plastic wrap & changed the wire, plastic wrap covered the hole so as to not get any previous soap onto the wire. I can't afford a nice cutter just yet, a miter-box is a good Idea, i don't know where to get it from.

not_ally

Reaction score
All the soaping supply places have them, but they are probably cheaper on etsy or ebay, I would (a) check there and (b) ask here. I like mine now that I have the right sized blade, but am afraid that I cannot tell you where it came from b/c I bought it from someone here doing a de-stash.

That might not have turned out to be cheaper in the end, though, b/c I had to buy a separate blade (the regular and crinkle-cutter ones I already had were not tall enough to get past the top of the cutter, they got down to about a quarter inch from the bottom, then I had to take them out and cut them the rest of the way w/a knife!) So probably best to buy a matched pair if you can.