Where to buy sodium Chloride to make soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen74

Reaction score
I am wondering where I can purchase Sodium Chloride( Lye) to make my soap? I used Sodium Hydroxide once, but wanted to use sodium Chloride this time.. Amazon does not carry either...

Sodium Chloride (NaCl) is the chemical name for common salt. You won't be able to make soap without lye - either Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) or Potassium Hydroxide (KOH) . If you only use sodium chloride you will end up with a bowl of salty oil.
You can use sodium chloride (salt) to make salt bars or solseife soap but you would still need to use lye for the saponification reaction to take place and produce soap. You can also use salt (normally 1 tsp per pound of oil, or a bit more) dissolved in your water before you add the lye in order to make a harder bar of soap, but again you would still need to use lye.
No lye, no soap.

Saffron is correct -- you cannot use sodium chloride to make soap.

Sodium carbonate (washing soda, soda ash) can be used for soap making, but it is a fair bit more difficult to make soap with sodium carbonate compared with using sodium hydroxide.

I'm really curious -- Do you have a book or online resource that says you can use sodium chloride? Can you explain why you believe it can be used for soap making?

FWIW, you can most certainly can buy sodium chloride and sodium hydroxide on Amazon. I've bought both in recent months -- no big deal.

Latest posts

Back