Where O Where Do I Begin?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannahj26

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on a good starting point for soap making. Any good books/websites that would be helpful to me? Whats a good place to buy supplies?

Any advice on anything to a newbie would be appreciated! I want to make my first batch in the next couple of weeks and I have no idea where to begin!

also, if you haven't noticed I LOVE to overuse the !!! :D

Ask 100 soapers & 98 will send you to the miller website, the other 2 will be smarty pants & send you to google.

Where to start

I don't know what percent I'm in, Tabitha. But I'm all for "Googling". There's a wealth of info online, and that's a good place to start. It gets you into "research" mode, which is critical in this hobby.

This forum is a great resource. Look around here and read...you'll find answers to MANY of your questions. This is one of the nicest forums you'll find. But you should definately learn to use the search feature, to benefit from the all the information here.

Get you a couple of good soapmaking "manuals". "The Everything Soap Book", by Alicia Grosso is a good book for beginners. I liked it better than the always-mentioned, "The Soapmaker's Companion". It's not as overwhelming and it gives you enough to get you started — which is what you want. Too much info, too early, often equals frustration. But, you are the best judge as far as "how" you learn.

My second recommendation is "Smart Soapmaking", by Anne L. Watson. Short book and to the point. It makes soapmaking "user-friendly", and doesn't have a bunch of soapmaking "rules" that often confuse and bewilder — and are often unfounded. Some folks wanna make this craft MUCH harder than it is (as far as the basics), and that's a shame.

Read. Read some more. Google...a lot. Stay in your lane, and learn at your own pace.

I started making soap, in October of last year. Before that, I bought TONS of it. I'm addicted and I will never use "store bought" soap again. Never.

Peace and welcome to the ADDICTION!!!

STAY IN YOUR LANE???? NEA do you soap and drive???? Allrightythen!!!

OOOHHHHHHHHH can I be one of the smarty pants people????? If you want to do M&P soap, Google will help a little but it is a lot of trial and error. We have a section here in the forum for our favorite suppliers, might want to check it out.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh SMART PANTS!

You all know that is not what I meant. I was refering to the 2% of the soap crowd that are high & mightly & don't share a stitch with newcomers & are ugly about it.

If you look at the past 15 threads about where to start 9 outa 10 suggest the millers site 1st. That was all I was sayin' :roll: :roll: :roll:...

Tabitha said:
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh SMART PANTS!
You all know that is not what I meant. I was refering to the 2% of the soap crowd that are high & mightly & don't share a stitch with newcomers & are ugly about it.

If you look at the past 15 threads about where to start 9 outa 10 suggest the millers site 1st. That was all I was sayin' :roll: :roll: :roll:...

:lol: I know what YOU meant! I was just messin' with our new family member!

Honestly, though, I do suggest people Google, but I'm not mean about it. It saves me time, cuz I can find what I want quicker.

dragonfly princess said:

OOOHHHHHHHHH can I be one of the smarty pants people????? If you want to do M&P soap, Google will help a little but it is a lot of trial and error. We have a section here in the forum for our favorite suppliers, might want to check it out.

Yep! Stick blender in one hand, steering wheel in another! :lol:

NEASoapWorks said:
dragonfly princess said:

Yep! Stick blender in one hand, steering wheel in another! :lol:

Hi my name is kris and I'm a soapaholic

Well, guess I missed out, you already heard from the group of two ( :wink: ) so I'll have to be one of the 98 and suggest www.millersoap.com!
That IS where I stumbled into...and have told everyone I know, that doesn't already know, that they MUST check it out! My favorite part there (besides all the helpful info, of course) is the section that lists "What type of Soaper Are You?" It's soooo funny. I'm sure many here can find their "Soaper Type Profile" on this list. Wait....I'll see if I can find it and post a link (for those who haven't read it yet, it's too cute to miss)

http://www.millersoap.com/soapertypes.html

Do check it out if you haven't already, I laughed histarically 'cause I fit so many of the "profiles".....
Have Fun! That's what it's all about!

I'm a newbie too....and I did lots of random searches for soapmaking. I also read everything on the miller website. There is lots of info out there most of it is really good and helpful. Just be weary of some of the sites which do NOT teach the proper technique for making your lye water.

Good Luck!
Joanne

thank you!

Thank you everyone! I looked around the miller site a little bit. there is a TON of stuff on there. My problem with The Google Machine is that I get really overwhelmed. I guess the more I read though the less overwhelming it will seem. :wink:

Thanks again for all your advice!

Just be weary of some of the sites which do NOT teach the proper technique
Yes, and that is exactly why it is important to make sure a newbie is armed with correct info such as the info found on the miller site :wink:

My problem with The Google Machine is that I get really overwhelmed.
Google is overwhelming & you never know if you are getting correct info or not. That is why we are always happy to help nudge you in the right direction. Go ahead & ask we have ALL asked plenty of questions, as newbies, intermediate & advanced soapers alike.

Come on now Kris. Just admit you have a problem. I promise you are not alone! It's not your fault, you are powerless.

Information

Yes, there is a lot of info that's wrong on the internet. That's why it's good to have a couple of the top "soap" bibles to reference. Then, you know when you're reading conflicting info and you know what to ask, when you come to a forum.

Gotta wonder what that 12th step would be.....shall I start a meeting in my area??? All members will be anonymous of course!!!
PS: Bring your lye just incase...... :wink:

Back