Where Do You Draw the Line or Do You?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandolyn

Reaction score
It is 7:02 PM Central Time & a co-worker of DH's wants lotions for Christmas!!! :shock: I use a lotion base & scent it, etc - not that big a deal, but then again, TOMORROW is Christmas Eve for Willy's sake & I have pies to bake for my family tonight.

Would you fill this last minute order for a customer who'd never bought from you before?

I can't seem to get people to understand that I sell at craft fairs, not 24/7/365. I know I should be happy that she wants to buy, but just where do you draw the line, or do you?

Just curious!

Between you & me. As of 4:00 PM today, I'm on vaca. I don't have to be back to my real job until 1/5/09. As it is, my time off is going to be used to prepare for a craft fair in late Jan. I'd like to enjoy the holidays before that happens, though. DH is on the way home, so pie baking is about to begin.

And, thanks for letting me come here to rant a bit!! :lol:

Just go buy a bottle of some high end commercial garbage, then dump it into one of you own custom bottles.

If he/she compliments the quality of "your" lotion later, you'll know that you need to improve your soaping skills. If he/she complains later, tell him/her the truth and take the complaint as a compliment. (if the latter event occurs, don't forget to promise to replace the defective commercial slop with proper hand crafted product)

welder said:
Just go buy a bottle of some high end commercial garbage, then dump it into one of you own custom bottles.

If he/she compliments the quality of "your" lotion later, you'll know that you need to improve your soaping skills. If he/she complains later, tell him/her the truth and take the complaint as a compliment. (if the latter event occurs, don't forget to promise to replace the defective commercial slop with proper hand crafted product)

:lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!

Maybe I could just fill the bottle with some lard & cheap oil, add some scent & let it go. :lol: :lol:

I own my own business and I not infrequently get asked to do things that are inconvenient. I've drawn some lines in the sand that I stick to pretty firmly, in order to make my life livable. I do occasionally break my own rules, however, if I'm feeling particularly soft-hearted or if the money/increased business makes it extremely worthwhile, or if it's an incredibly easy way to make someone else's life easier.

In your case, I'd be pretty inclined to say "Sorry, I've been swamped with orders and and I'm out of supplies until after the New Year. If you want to give your giftee an IOU certificate, I'll be happy to oblige. I can probably get it done by the -- of January."

Soapmaker Man said:
I've been reading where lard makes a decent lotion.....Idon't know about that, but that is the rub!

Paul

I'm thinking that by next autumn, I'll be truly proficient at soaping.

That's when I'll buy some genuine reindeer tallow from some Eskimos up north.

That way, I can make some REAL Christmas soap!!!

(I won't send any to Greenpeace though)

Ho Ho Ho !!! Merry Christmas!!!

Soapmaker Man said:
I've been reading where lard makes a decent lotion.....Idon't know about that, but that is the rub!

Paul

I've heard that, too. I was really just being a butthead when I said that - just plain lard. LOL!

There was a very long thread on another forum about lard lotion. It got to be pretty funny, so that made me think of it.

surf girl said:
In your case, I'd be pretty inclined to say "Sorry, I've been swamped with orders and and I'm out of supplies until after the New Year.
I agree. How about a gift certificate? That way, you, the customer and potential customers all get what they want?

Digit

digit said:
surf girl said:
In your case, I'd be pretty inclined to say "Sorry, I've been swamped with orders and and I'm out of supplies until after the New Year.
I agree. How about a gift certificate? That way, you, the customer and potential customers all get what they want?

Digit

Excellent idea Digit!

I think I would have made a cute little joke out of it... "Aw gee, I have already sent the elves home for their Holiday vacation & they won't be back in the workshop till' after New Years. I wish I had known you needed lotion sooner so I could have helped."

I try to let everyone know I need 7 days notice for all custom orders to make sure I have the correct supplies on hand, etc, etc.

Tabitha said:
I think I would have made a cute little joke out of it... "Aw gee, I have already sent the elves home for their Holiday vacation & they won't be back in the workshop till' after New Years. I wish I had known you needed lotion sooner so I could have helped."

I try to let everyone know I need 7 days notice for all custom orders to make sure I have the correct supplies on hand, etc, etc.

Thanks Tabitha. That's really good advice & info.

I think that the gift certificate idea is fantastic, that way the person receiving the gift can chose what scent/colour/etc that they want!! More than likely they will love the gift that they receive, and then come back to you to buy some more. Everyone's happy!! :D

Latest posts

Back