Where do you buy your oils, supplies, etc?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
Where do you get your supplies? I'm looking for somewhere that ships out a little quicker.

I placed an order with Bramble Berry last weekend and I still don't think they shipped it yet. I think this is the slowest shipment I've ever experienced in my life.

So, who do you use to get quicker shipments?

Thanks ahead of time!!

Nature's Garden and Wholesale Supplies Plus are in Ohio. For oils etc I order from Soaper's Choice though the smallest amount you can get is 7lbs. Olive Oil and Avocado Oil I can get it aat Costco.

I can order from NG in the morning and generally have it the next day. WSP sometimes takes a bit longer depending if they have had a big sale.

Nurture Soap also has a pretty quick turn around.
Elements Bath & Body ships pretty quickly but their shipping is fairly high.
Lye I get from Essential Depot and generally have it in 4-5 days.

I quit ordering from BB as it took forever to get stuff here.

Nature's Garden and Wholesale Supplies Plus are in Ohio. For oils etc I order from Soaper's Choice though the smallest amount you can get is 7lbs. Olive Oil and Avocado Oil I can get it aat Costco.

I can order from NG in the morning and generally have it the next day. WSP sometimes takes a bit longer depending if they have had a big sale.

Nurture Soap also has a pretty quick turn around.
Elements Bath & Body ships pretty quickly but their shipping is fairly high.
Lye I get from Essential Depot and generally have it in 4-5 days.

I quit ordering from BB as it took forever to get stuff here.

Ahh, thanks for the valuable information once again!!

I've been doing this on the weekends lately and I'm trying to plan for next weekend today, but I'm thinking if I order from Bramble Berry again, I won't have it for next weekend.

I've been doing this for about a month now and I'm really enjoying it. Surprisingly the most difficult part about it so far is getting the things you need. That's why a lot of my questions lately have been the "What can I get locally?" type of questions. And the reality is, there is not a great selection of things locally. It seems like almost everything has to be obtained over the web (with exception to some basic oils).

I agree with NG and Soaper's Choice both are great.
BB and BCN no, BB for too long turn around and BCN for communication and FO's not all tested in CP

Wholesale Supplies is usually pretty prompt on regular orders. Orders of products on sale may take longer to fill. Soapers Choice is also one of my favorites. SaveOnCitric is usually fairly prompt.

I use BCN for some things and have never had an issue. Have ordered a few FO's but didn't really care for them. I love their Vanilla Stabilizer.

I love Wholesale Soap Supplies, they ship fast and with only a $5.95 handling fee, it helps on total costs. I live in South Carolina and use The Chemistry Store at Chemistrystore.com for a lot of my supplies. Also found Rustic Essentials at rusticessentials.com is a great and fast shipper of fragrance oils. Also a shout out to Nurture Soaps for micas and colorants. They almost always ship within 24 to 48 hours. Have found that although Brambleberry has great merchandise, it take forever to get it to me. They always ship UPS ground and I sometimes wait a week for them to ship and then another week for it to arrive.

WSP does build shipping costs into their products, and you have to have orders over $25 to get the $6 handling fee. But you should still shop around, many of their products are crazily overpriced. Just a quick example that I shared with another member recently:
Amber Romance FO at WSP is $41.95 / lb
Nature Garden's version is $15.29 / lb
BCN's version is $24.95 / lb

Practically identical FO's but crazy price differences. I have never paid $17 in shipping (difference between BCN and WSP), the average shipping for me from NG has been $3.75 per 16oz bottle. It was shocking to me when I really started to dig in to cutting my FO costs how much I was overspending at WSP compared to other companies even if I have to pay shipping. I now do a price comparison across several companies before I order anything. When I was gathering ingredients for shampoo bars, even with paying shipping from other companies, I still saved $80 over what I would have spent at WSP alone. Are there some things that are worth the cost at WSP, yes. My intention isn't to slam the company, but to encourage you to make sure you are putting your money to good use.

[QUOTE="amd, post: 726248, member: 19465" But you should still shop around, many of their products are crazily overpriced. [/QUOTE]

I was wondering why the price difference was so great compared to Soapers choice.... If there was a quality difference.
Cooorrraaal (Carl.....walking dead joke)
I purchased all of my oils from Soapers choice except the hemp seed oil, which i got from BB.
I saved an article that suggested (from an apparent poll) where to buy what....
https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/best-soapmaking-supplier-2016/

Although I would agree that WSP builds the cost factor into their products, it really depends on what you are shopping for. I tend not to purchase FO's from them unless on sale and use them for more basic items. You can get a 50 lb. box of Palm Oil (shortening) delivered for about $62 bucks. I can get 4 and 8 oz plastic bottles packed 48 for under 20 bucks. They have a new sale each week with 30% to 50% off a variety of product. I will also add that I have had very good luck with all Nature's Garden products I have purchased but have not encountered that much of a price variance between suppliers. Really does pay to shop around.

I also wanted to point out that Shipping depends on where YOU and Supplier are located. Shorter distance will be cheaper.
For me , I get my oils from Jedwards here in Mass. I go and pick them up, I have to wait 72 hrs to get it but they have Great Prices and I don't pay shipping.
I get my FO's from NG, prices are great and I have only had a few that I didn't like the scent, but others do. Prices are Great, Shipping is Fast!, Customer service is really good and so it Communication.
Mica's I get from Mica's & More exclusively !! They TEST EVERYTHING in CP and they do have some FO's but not that many. It is a Pre-Buy, so order before the 7th and it is sent out the end of the month.

Where do you get your supplies? I'm looking for somewhere that ships out a little quicker.

I placed an order with Bramble Berry last weekend and I still don't think they shipped it yet. I think this is the slowest shipment I've ever experienced in my life.

So, who do you use to get quicker shipments?

Thanks ahead of time!!
I didn’t see it mentioned in the list but Shay and Company in Clackamas, OR is worth looking at for some items, especially if you are on the west coast, order in bulk, need kosher Or halal ingredients. Some EOs but no fragrances. I’m not experienced enough to rate their quality on things like butters. They also supply restaurants. I’m able to pickup so don’t pay shipping. Last time I checked they were slightly less than Bulk Apothecary for lye. I’m trying to source menthol crystals which they don’t have. Gee whiz those seem spendy.

Back