Where do you buy your bulk oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrayGrants

Reaction score
Hello all, I was curious as to where you prefer to buy your bulk oils from? I used to buy from Soaper's Choice but recently there has been controversy about the purity of their products, but let's not get into that. Where is your favorite online store to buy bulk oils from and why? I would also like to add that this is for US vendors.

I originally started with BrambleBerry because that is where I bought my kit from and I was happy with their products. But when I decided to turn this into a business, I became more price conscience as started shopping around...BeScented, Rustic Escentuals, Elements Bath & Body, Amazon, Nurture Soap. As time progressed, I got a Costco Card and started purchasing Olive Oil, Coconut Oil and Avocado Oil from them. Then somebody told me about Shay and Company...they are fairly local to me; I say 'fairly' because they are a 20 minute drive from work (which is an hour from my home). My boss likes my soap so it's not a problem for me to leave work early or come in late to pick up an order. Except for Olive Oil and Avocado Oil, I now purchase all the rest of oils/butters. Sodium Lactate and Sodium Hydroxide from them because their products are really good and customer service is excellent. I also purchase a fair amount of FOs and a few EOs from them...they do not carry Micas.

It should be noted that some of their prices are a little higher and some of their prices are a little lower, but it all works out in the wash since I can order the majority of my stuff from one place and given the quantity that I am starting to buy in, there is substantial savings in shipping costs even counting in lost wages. Speaking of shipping, since I "Will Call" I don't know what their charges are like.

I like New Directions and Lotioncrafter often has lower prices than other places, but I also do Olive Oil and Coconut oil from Costco. I find WSP prices to be almost higher than any other place.

I haven't had any problems with Soaper's Choice. I buy my olive oil and avocado oil from Costco, and used to get sunflower oil from Trader Joe's, but it hasn't been available for a several months now. I buy lard at Walmart. Anything else I need, I just shop for the best price at the time.

I buy my olive oil pomace from US Chef. Just got a gal. for $20 & change.

Olive oil from Sams. For coconut oil I tend to move between Sams and another store (whose name I can't remember at 3:30 am) depending on price. Palm oil I usually get from WSP because they have no stir but I've been looking for an alternative. I moved from the Sweet Almond Oil at WSP to Apricot Kernel Oil which I usually buy from Etsy depending on whose having the best price.

Hello all, I was curious as to where you prefer to buy your bulk oils from? I used to buy from Soaper's Choice but recently there has been controversy about the purity of their products, but let's not get into that. Where is your favorite online store to buy bulk oils from and why? I would also like to add that this is for US vendors.
I buy all my EO from New Directions Aromatics. I know they're Canadian but I've had issues with quality or consistency from every US source I've tried. I get my oils and Shea butter from The Chemistry Store in Columbia, SC. I buy sodium hydroxide from Duda Energy.

Last edited:
I purchase my olive and coconut oils from Sam’s Club. I tend to shop around Bull Apothecary, WSP, and Essential Wholesale for my other supplies. I feel like the prices at WSP balance out when you consider you get free shipping over $25. I just made a fairly large purchase through Essential where my shipping was $60+, but the price per pound that I paid for my supplies outweighed the high shipping cost.

Olive oil from Sam's. Sunflower oil either Meijer or BA.
Other bulk oils from Bulk Apothecary or wholesale Supplies Plus. WSP I usually only buy from when they are on sale. Bulk apothecary is about an hour from me so I can pick up if I have a large enough order.

Coconut oil (92degree) always from BA. Other Coconut oil, if I need it right away I get it from Big Lots, otherwise BA or WSP

I'm interested... what do you do with the 92 degree CO?
I use it in my lotions and lotion bars. I am in Ohio and in the heat of the summer at outdoor events we have noticed our lotion bars get soft and our lotions get a little melty with regular CO.

Latest posts

Back