Where do you buy from?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigun

Reaction score
When I first started, I was buying from Brambleberry (scents and lye).

But after making several batches I found the amount of lye I was buying (at their cost) was far too high.

I've recently switched to using Bulk Apothecary. I bought a 50 lbs drum of lye that should last me quite a while. Scents are a touch more, but the cost of lye more than made up for it.

Everyone else?

I buy my lye locally. It doesn't spoil. I like BB's FOs a lot. I get most of my bottles from WSP on clearance. Exotic oils and butters I get from Camden Grey or Soaper's Choice.

I get my lye locally or from Essential Depot. FO's Natures Garden, Rustic Esscenturals, Fragrance Lab, WSP, Soapalooza, Elements Bath & Body. Oils and Butters Soaper's Choice. Olive Oil and Avocado Costco.

I buy some things in Bulk and that is from Bulk Apothecary.
I buy scents from Rustic Escentuals, Brambleberry, Mad Oils, Nurture Soap
My go to shop is on facebook but she also has a website it is called Soapers Supplies
I started out using WSP, but found i liked other places FO's better
I hate waiting a week and half to get my stuff, so it really depends on what I need and how fast I need it.

I'm just a hobbyist... so my amounts are a lot less than business folks.

Lye: The Lye Guy

CO: Snappy White Popcorn Oil from Amazon
AO: Costco
OO: Costco
Lard: Grocery Store
PKO: Mostly from WSP when they have a sale

FOs: BB, MO, AHRE, NSS, WSP
Colorants: NSS and MO

I have lye on hand from 3 different places: AAA Chemicals, Essential Depot and Brambleberry. Since I've chosen to remain a hobby soap-maker instead of going into business, I don't need to keep gigantic amounts of lye on hand, so I stick to the companies that offer bulk quantities of lye packaged in 2lb canisters (which I find to be very manageable) and stock up when there's a sale. I only buy as much at a time as will fit in my designated closet for it.

For fragrance oils, I'm all over the map. Early on, I tried to stick to just one (SweetCakes), but that soon proved to be a losing battle. :lol:
I've found that although several vendors might sell the same scent or the same kind of scent, they are not all created equal- i.e., the FO from Vendor A might be comparatively stronger or weaker than the same kind of scent front Vendor B, and/or smell more realistic; and/or the FO from Vendor C might behave badly in my CP while the same kind of scent from Vendor D soaps like a dream, etc...

For what it's worth, I have favorite and/or unique FOs that I love to use from each of these vendors:

SweetCakes
Daystar
WSP
Rustic Escentuals/Aroma Haven
Oregon Trails
Peaks
Nature's Garden
Brambleberry
Soapalooza
MMS

IrishLass :)

For most of my fixed oils, lye, most fragrance oils, some additives and some colorants I use Florida Suncoast Soapworks. (www.fssoapworks.com) She's local for me, so I can pick up my orders and it saves me a ton on shipping. Plus she always has an FO or 3 for me to sniff when I'm there to pick up my order. Makes choosing an FO MUCH easier; at least for me. :D

For some additives and FOs, as well as some packaging I use brambleberry. (www.brambleberry.com)

For a couple of additives, some FOs, a couple of fixed oils, and some packaging I like Majestic Mountain Sage. (www.thesage.com)

For micas and other colorants I like Nurture Soaps. (www.nurturesoap.com)
(I REALLY like Nurture Soaps for their micas now that they have free shipping on their micas!)

Just my $.02.

Latest posts

Back