Where do I start?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably. Shea Butter, following the previous conventions should be Sodium Sheabutterate. It could simply be that the person who designed the label didn't know what the correct name was for saponified Shea Butter (or Castor Oil) and so used the INCI name instead.
Ahhh, I did just wonder now whether those 2 oils could have been added AFTER trace, like you would with the essential oils? But then, if that was so, I think the soap would be very oily? Do people even add extra oils after mixing and getting trace?

Ahhh, I did just wonder now whether those 2 oils could have been added AFTER trace, like you would with the essential oils? But then, if that was so, I think the soap would be very oily? Do people even add extra oils after mixing and getting trace?
You could possibly add your SF after trace, although in cold process it doesn't make a difference (and probably doesn't in HP either). Many people do that in HP though -- you have your cooked soap and add a bit more oils for SF. Unfortunately it seems that the lye will saponify whatever oil it will come across, so at the end it won't matter when you add it.

I just went back to check on my assessments and my assessor has stated both sodium butterate as well as Shea Butter so I am guessing that the label is slightly confused.

Well all you lovely people. I have made my first tentative steps in to the world of soap making and I LOVE IT.
It is addictive!! Itching to find time to make more!!!
Here are a few photos of my first loaf of soap.
I’ll be shopping now for CP ingredients. Xx
37D7FC65-9B1C-4226-AF1C-9017C13EAAB4.jpeg
9B15B4F7-B8DA-4937-812D-DDE94DBCBD35.jpeg
43CD975D-72DF-4C92-8A55-3805FC61C3E3.jpeg
BC56EB13-DE69-4EE7-819F-F37E4149818C.jpeg
51A36E5B-7B15-4B33-88BF-40E20573E2C7.jpeg
o

I'm just gonna add my little bit here.
I've been soaping since 2014 and I started because I realized no matter the commercial "soap" or gel, my skin was always dry and itchy, even when I used lotion. Then YouTube recommended a video by Soaping101. My life changed.
I think I watched her videos, especially the ones from season 1, at least 10x each. It took me 2 years to build up enough courage, but I finally made my first batch, and it was the Bastile Soap. The easiest and simplest of her CP soaps. Mild, bubbly, and if you use lavender eo, very nice smelling for a good while.
I've never bought a mold, colorants, FO's, or had a soap cutter because I'm on a fixed income and can't afford them. And I'm a terrible sales person!! Can't sell heaters in Antarctica terrible!! So I make do. As long as my family loves my soaps, and my skin, that's all that matters.
Enjoy the journey, it's full of fun, discovery and wonderful skin!
I'm including a picture of an experiment that turned out to be a really good soap. I used cinnamon, Hershey's cocoa, coffee instead of water, and some of the coffee grounds. I added honey and coconut oil because I didn't have castor oil and we have really hard water here in San Antonio, Texas. I gave it to some friends, and my younger son up in Wisconsin, and they loved the scent which they thought smelled like butterscotch for some reason. And the scratchiness of the grounds they said feels good on their feet and other rough spots. My son has asked me to make some more, just without the grounds because he really, REALLY, loves the smell, and so do my grandkids. So the oils are being infused as I write this.
Oh, and the recipe is 65% lard. Cheap and leaves the skin feeling great. But it's not for everybody. 😶

Attachments

• IMG_20191103_210418.jpg
    IMG_20191103_210418.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 30
Hello all. I’m new to all this. I’m in South Wales and I think I’m trying to gallop. I’ve bought everything I could need. But I’m just waiting on my first ‘melt & pour’ blocks to arrive to start, I hope I’ll progress to the oil&lye method soon. I’ve started looking at all the legalities and becoming overwhelmed. I don’t really want to fork out even more money when I done even know if I can make soap yet?! How did you start off on your journeys?
Probably. Shea Butter, following the previous conventions should be Sodium Sheabutterate. It could simply be that the person who designed the label didn't know what the correct name was for saponified Shea Butter (or Castor Oil) and so used the INCI name instead.

Girlfriend I understand your frustration. I’ve just started soaping a few weeks ago myself and so far products and equipment cost me a little over $1000 already. I started with CP soaps.The shipping is quite expensive here in New York as well because of the pandemic but don’t give up when you actually start you will see how much fun you are having.

I've been soaping since 2014 and I started because I realized no matter the commercial "soap" or gel, my skin was always dry and itchy, even when I used lotion. Then YouTube recommended a video by Soaping101. My life changed.
I think I watched her videos, especially the ones from season 1, at least 10x each. It took me 2 years to build up enough courage, but I finally made my first batch, and it was the Bastile Soap. The easiest and simplest of her CP soaps. Mild, bubbly, and if you use lavender eo, very nice smelling for a good while.
I've never bought a mold, colorants, FO's, or had a soap cutter because I'm on a fixed income and can't afford them. And I'm a terrible sales person!! Can't sell heaters in Antarctica terrible!! So I make do. As long as my family loves my soaps, and my skin, that's all that matters.
I'm including a picture of an experiment that turned out to be a really good soap. I used cinnamon, Hershey's cocoa, coffee instead of water, and some of the coffee grounds. I added honey and coconut oil because I didn't have castor oil and we have really hard water here in San Antonio, Texas. I gave it to some friends, and my younger son up in Wisconsin, and they loved the scent which they thought smelled like butterscotch for some reason. And the scratchiness of the grounds they said feels good on their feet and other rough spots. My son has asked me to make some more, just without the grounds because he really, REALLY, loves the smell, and so do my grandkids. So the oils are being infused as I write this.
Oh, and the recipe is 65% lard. Cheap and leaves the skin feeling great. But it's not for everybody. 😶
These looks gorgeous. Thank you for your hints too. I think I overwhelmed myself with grand ideas and I hadn’t even tried making any 😝
I was probably just trying to talk myself out of it 😝
I’m happy with my little batches so far. Learning loads. I have promised a few people a bastille bar too and so I am loving the look of your bars. They look delicious. I bet the smell amazing. I’m definitely going to make it My first CP recipe. So far I’ve made three Loaves ( and a practice kit ) MP. Looking online now where I can buy ingredients in the U.K. for CP plus I need a stick blender. I’ve just got a promotion so I’m spending my lockdown savings plus my rise on soap stuff lol. I decided whilst I wasnt used to the money just to buy a few bits. I’m loving soapy life too. Plus stops me watching tv and eating snacks. 😂 xx

Girlfriend I understand your frustration. I’ve just started soaping a few weeks ago myself and so far products and equipment cost me a little over $1000 already. I started with CP soaps.The shipping is quite expensive here in New York as well because of the pandemic but don’t give up when you actually start you will see how much fun you are having.
I’m already addicted. Always thinking of the next design, fragrance etc. I know what you mean about shipping though. Gutting to have to spend so much when you can normally pop to the shops. 😭
Hope you’re staying safe in NY. Wales is coping at the moment. We’ve had too much of course but as a nurse I’m waiting for the call up and so far I’ve not been needed To move roles as Our hospitals seem to be coping pretty well. Stay safe Xx

Shipping is expensive period. If you have a Costco, you can save on Olive, Coconut and Avocado Oils; mine is just a few miles down the road. With Olive Oil being 35% of my recipe, it's a significant savings. Being about to buy in larger quantities is also a savings, and I spread out my bulk purchases so I'm not ordering everything all at once...it's not only easier on my cash flow, but I also am able to order those larger quantities. You want to comparison shop...it's a little time consuming, but I have a spreadsheet that makes it easier. I don't include micas and scents in my comparison because they are specific to the vendor. And lastly, watch your inventory...panic buying cost money, so can overbuying, especially when it comes to oils/butters with a shorter shelf life.

Oh...I should mention that when trying a new colorant or scent, buy the smallest amount first to test it, and test anything with a 1lb batch. Tossing 16 oz of oils is a lot cheaper than 32 oz; spending $2.00 on a sample colorant and hating it is cheaper than spending $5.00; and never...ever...buy a 16 oz bottle of fragrance without testing it first only to discover that it severely accelerates!

Shipping is expensive period. If you have a Costco, you can save on Olive, Coconut and Avocado Oils; mine is just a few miles down the road. With Olive Oil being 35% of my recipe, it's a significant savings. Being about to buy in larger quantities is also a savings, and I spread out my bulk purchases so I'm not ordering everything all at once...it's not only easier on my cash flow, but I also am able to order those larger quantities. You want to comparison shop...it's a little time consuming, but I have a spreadsheet that makes it easier. I don't include micas and scents in my comparison because they are specific to the vendor. And lastly, watch your inventory...panic buying cost money, so can overbuying, especially when it comes to oils/butters with a shorter shelf life.

Oh...I should mention that when trying a new colorant or scent, buy the smallest amount first to test it, and test anything with a 1lb batch. Tossing 16 oz of oils is a lot cheaper than 32 oz; spending $2.00 on a sample colorant and hating it is cheaper than spending $5.00; and never...ever...buy a 16 oz bottle of fragrance without testing it first only to discover that it severely accelerates!
This is so helpful thank you very much

I’m already addicted. Always thinking of the next design, fragrance etc. I know what you mean about shipping though. Gutting to have to spend so much when you can normally pop to the shops. 😭
Hope you’re staying safe in NY. Wales is coping at the moment. We’ve had too much of course but as a nurse I’m waiting for the call up and so far I’ve not been needed To move roles as Our hospitals seem to be coping pretty well. Stay safe Xx
Thank you so much you be safe as well thank god for soaping an activity to help us cope with the madness.

I love The colour! You’re braver then I am As I only Follow recipes from books. I hope One day to be confident enough to get creative like you.

You’re braver then I am As I only Follow recipes from books
That's exactly what you do when you start. It's how you learn! Then, when stuff goes sideways, as they inevitably do, it's MUCH easier for the more experienced to help you.
A tried and true recipe that someone else has made numerous times means they've worked out all the kinks, knows where it's possible mistakes can happen, and why it works so well. That's why I absolutely love Soaping101's YouTube channel. She's a wonderful teacher, the video means you can pause it at any time, and she gives excellent suggestions on a video for cheap supplies you can use to start making soap without spending a fortune.
I'm including another photo. This is my other soap. It's chamomile with chamomile infusion instead of water, and I heat the oils a bit with more chamomile flowers (my son bought 4 oz for $5 at a flea market before the world went pear-shaped). I add turmeric and smoked paprika or annatto for color. Also honey and coconut oil for suds. The pill bottle has a salve I make for our dry hands and feet, knees, elbows, etc. The box is from my monthly meds shipment and gets re-used at least 5 times (so far), it's been lined with local store's brand of parchment paper. Finally, the pretty little soap's molds were frozen bulgogi from Costco. I looked at the recycling code: 5! So I kept them. Same for some fruit cups we got in the kids' lunches. The sources are almost endless if you look for recycling codes and think outside, or inside, the box(es).
This week's soap is chocolate? I'm saving the chocolate milk half-pint boxes to use as molds for small chunky bars of soap. Just so I can send pictures of the soaps drying to my recipients, in anticipation of their gifts.
I hope you try your hand at making some soap soon! And by the way, even if "they" say you shouldn't or can't use a hand mixer to make soap, it's not impossible. I moved countries in a hurry 3 years ago and I had to leave my stick blender behind. I was desperate so I used a hand blender and you know, it worked! It took a while, I had to use a kitchen towel as a shield because of the splatter, and a couple of t-shirts were ruined anyway, but I MADE SOAP. It was GRAND. It wasn't attractive, but it had tons of suds, and it was SOAP. (The last picture is one of them)👐🏻💕 It felt like getting asked if I wanted a Jaguar X9, even if I'd it down!! 😂
Do it just to get your feet wet. You won't regret it, I promise!! 💍

Attachments

• 15904526438704321989916057028469.jpg
    15904526438704321989916057028469.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20180325_172652.jpg
    IMG_20180325_172652.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 16
That's exactly what you do when you start. It's how you learn! Then, when stuff goes sideways, as they inevitably do, it's MUCH easier for the more experienced to help you.
A tried and true recipe that someone else has made numerous times means they've worked out all the kinks, knows where it's possible mistakes can happen, and why it works so well. That's why I absolutely love Soaping101's YouTube channel. She's a wonderful teacher, the video means you can pause it at any time, and she gives excellent suggestions on a video for cheap supplies you can use to start making soap without spending a fortune.
I'm including another photo. This is my other soap. It's chamomile with chamomile infusion instead of water, and I heat the oils a bit with more chamomile flowers (my son bought 4 oz for $5 at a flea market before the world went pear-shaped). I add turmeric and smoked paprika or annatto for color. Also honey and coconut oil for suds. The pill bottle has a salve I make for our dry hands and feet, knees, elbows, etc. The box is from my monthly meds shipment and gets re-used at least 5 times (so far), it's been lined with local store's brand of parchment paper. Finally, the pretty little soap's molds were frozen bulgogi from Costco. I looked at the recycling code: 5! So I kept them. Same for some fruit cups we got in the kids' lunches. The sources are almost endless if you look for recycling codes and think outside, or inside, the box(es).
This week's soap is chocolate? I'm saving the chocolate milk half-pint boxes to use as molds for small chunky bars of soap. Just so I can send pictures of the soaps drying to my recipients, in anticipation of their gifts.
I hope you try your hand at making some soap soon! And by the way, even if "they" say you shouldn't or can't use a hand mixer to make soap, it's not impossible. I moved countries in a hurry 3 years ago and I had to leave my stick blender behind. I was desperate so I used a hand blender and you know, it worked! It took a while, I had to use a kitchen towel as a shield because of the splatter, and a couple of t-shirts were ruined anyway, but I MADE SOAP. It was GRAND. It wasn't attractive, but it had tons of suds, and it was SOAP. (The last picture is one of them)👐🏻💕 It felt like getting asked if I wanted a Jaguar X9, even if I'd it down!! 😂
Do it just to get your feet wet. You won't regret it, I promise!! 💍
Thanks for all the encouragement! You make it sound so easy that I’m feeling more confident all ready. Lol

Back