Where did all my soap go?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsHarryWinston

Reaction score
Attempted my first batch of soap today. I made it in individual molds the stuck it in the freezer for 8 hours to avoid gel (goats milk and aloe juice), then 4 hours in the fridge.

The batch only filled 2 and about one third cupcake molds. So I realized they could weigh a good 5oz. I checked on them and they were feeling safely firm, so I popped one out and onto the scale...

3.6oz!!

Where the heck did all my soap go? I know there is supposed to be some shrinkage later once it starts curing but this seems excessive. That's 3oz of soap just... gone. is that normal? That can't be normal.

Oh btw, there is 3.74oz of lye water in my recipe. Don't know if that matters.

*sigh*

3.6oz is also way too small so I guess these molds will be strictly for lotion bars. (They end up 2.5oz).

Oops, it was a 12oz batch. I must have thought it but forgotten to type it. 12oz batch which gave me two 3.6oz soaps plus one 1/3 filled mold.

My scale should be accurate. I've had it for over a year, use it every day and its never let me down.

Something is wrong. If you made 12 oz batch which personally I wouldn't make anything smaller than 16, but if it works that's fine.

Either your measurements or scale. Does not make sense. You should have that same weight give or take a bit.

I have made this sort of mistake, too. :silent: In *my* case, it is/was a problem with my bifocals. I can't glance and double check my measurements. I've just learned to STOP, bend over, look carefully, and read out loud. (I also have dyscalculia, and routinely flip-flop numbers. It doesn't help.)

The old saying from carpentry applies everywhere:
Measure twice.
Cut/slice/pour/snip/shave once.

Now if someone would make safety glasses that fit OVER my bifocals, AND are clear enough to see through . . .

:) ~HoneyLady~

No, it's not normal. The weight of all the oils in your recipe + your lye, additives, and water should equal the weight of soap when you unmold, minus a tiny fraction to account for evaporation and what sticks to the bowls when you pour. If you are off by such a huge amount - 3oz in a 12oz batch - it means you either forgot an oil or some other major ingredient, or you made a mistake weighing. Double check your scale for accuracy, double check your recipe, and zap test your soap. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out the problem. :)

OMG!!!

I'm so sleep deprived and stupid. It made 3 bars and 1/3 not 2. *facepalm*. Somehow last night I was staring down at 3 and only saw 2. Word to the wise. DONT touch your soap when you work graveyards and your sleep schedule is messed up and you haven't eaten for almost 24 hours. Seriously just don't. You will LITERALLY start seeing things.

Nothing to see here, move it along.

*facepalm*

OMG!!!

I'm so sleep deprived and stupid. It made 3 bars and 1/3 not 2. *facepalm*. Somehow last night I was staring down at 3 and only saw 2. Word to the wise. DONT touch your soap when you work graveyards and your sleep schedule is messed up and you haven't eaten for almost 24 hours. Seriously just don't. You will LITERALLY start seeing things.

Nothing to see here, move it along.

*facepalm*

That's good news. I was concerned for ya.
I made a trip to the cheap kitchen section at Wal Marche' and picked up several #5 plastic 4 cup measuring cups. Now I can weigh each of the oils individually before combining into the batch. Keeps me from leaving out or doubling an oil when the squirrel distracts me ( something shiney oo look) and I lose track of just where I was ( phone rings).

Having been sleep deprived enough that I couldn't read English, I know what you mean. As long as you don't soap when you are in that state and only unmold! Glad all is well.

Lol I promise to never soap sleepy. I did my second batch today. A goats milk peppermint foot scrub bar with pumice and topped with pink Himalayan salt. I even attempted an in the pot swirl of light and dark green and then a dark green top layer that holds the pink salt.
I promise I was WIDE AWAKE. Lol and since its in a DIY loaf mold I made I can't miss count my bars!

I have worked graveyards and not gotten to eat before, please, please, please never soap in that state!

No no no! I was NOT soaping! I was watching Netflix and just curious about what weight soap would be made from the size of individual mold I used so I popped one out and dropped it on the scale then popped it back in the mold.

I would NEVER soap sleep deprived. I am waaaaay to scared of lye, lol.

Back